Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

thin crescent moon in the west with Mercuuy along side

9 hours ago, AstroPhil said:

Spotted that as well, using my old 11x80 vixen binos... lovely view of the moon. No sign of Mercury though, just too much haze and that direction is right into the city from my location!

Me too. The looked very pleasing through my 15x70 bins.  No sign of Mercury though. 

I was out last evening and managed to sweep up the Moon which was very low, this was about 9.30 to 9.45 BST.  No sign of Mercury though, same reasons as yourselves, quite hazy - even the Moon wasn't that obvious at first.  Mind you, I don't think it helped that I had only grabbed my 8x25s as I left the house.  A tad optimistic me thinks ?.

I was out half an hour after sunset this evening and clearly saw Venus and the Moon but where is Mercury? I know where it should have been, the sky was very clear to the horizon, looked through my binoculars but couldn't see it at all, very odd. ?

1 hour ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I was out half an hour after sunset this evening and clearly saw Venus and the Moon but where is Mercury? I know where it should have been, the sky was very clear to the horizon, looked through my binoculars but couldn't see it at all, very odd. ?

Despite having just passed eastern elongation, Mercury is actually more difficult now than it was 2 weeks ago. That easterly drift has dragged it deeper into the twilight, whereas at the start of July it was more northerly and against a darker sky background.

Archived