SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's the longest scope you've owned or used.

Following on from a thread entitled "What's the longest you've owned a scope". This was misread as "what's the longest scope you've owned".....well why not indeed! Sounds like a fun thread idea ?

Mine was the Bresser AR127L with an unfolded focal length of 1200mm. 

Why we're at it, why not the shortest too ;) 

Mine was probably a WO66SD or my 100p

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

owned 8" f 13 newtonian  ( I still have the mirror) planeatry scope with tiny secondary that was used arround the time of the SL/9 impats on Jupiter.

used 16" f10 but does not count as it was an SCT prob the 18"newt at Chesterfield obs

Shortest scope I have owned TS71

Longest time owned 4" Charles Frank saturn telescope obtained in 1971 (my first real scope) again I still have the mirror and I think i have the tube somewhere as well, the eq mount I made in school for it got lost in a house move along with all my sketches. I keep saying i will put it back together.I did get a secondary and a spider some years ago but thats as far as I got.

Shortest time i owned  a scope was a 70mm Meade refractor that went back the next day as it was not fit for purpose

My old Istar Perseus 6" F/12 refractor was easily the longest - a beast of a scope to mount although it looked wonderful !

The shortest was probably the Celestron C5 (excluding dew shield) of which I've owned a few over the years.

When John from Peak2Valley optics delivered the big Istar refractor I was amazed at the length of the box that it came in. Even more impressive / daunting was the F/15 6" that he was on his way to deliver to another customer :shocked:

Given that I'm the buffoon that inspired this thread, I guess I'd better contribute ;)

Longest would be my Orion Optics 12" f6 I think, quite a beast. Will dig out a picture of it next to my OMC200, although it is around on the forum already somewhere.

Shortest? William Optics ZS SD66, lovely little scope, think it was shorter than the Tak 60 because of the sliding dewshield.

46 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

8" f 13 newtonian  ( I still have the mirror) planeatry scope with tiny secondary that was used arround the time of the SL/9 impats on Jupiter.

4" Charles Frank saturn telescope obtained in 1971 (my first real scope) again I still have the mirror and I think i have the tube somewhere as well, the eq mount I made in school for it got lost in a house move along with all my sketches. I keep saying i will put it back together.I did get a secondary and a spider some years ago but thats as far as I got.

Shortest was a 70mm Meade refractor that went back the next day as it was not fit for purpose

I’m now wondering whether your Charles Frank 4” is the same as the one I also got in 1971, which I just mentioned on the original thread.....!! Snap...!!

34 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

I’m now wondering whether your Charles Frank 4” is the same as the one I also got in 1971, which I just mentioned on the original thread.....!! Snap...!!

Did it have the plastic focuser with x31 on the eyepiece ???

25 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Did it have the plastic focuser with x31 on the eyepiece ???

Yes a plasic focuser and x31 rings a bell...!! It actually came with 2 non standard size (ie not 1.25") eyepieces and a x2 barlow, but I think they are all long gone in the several house moves. For years they used to be in the drawer of a sideboard that my wife and I bought a couple of years before we got married in 1975, which sideboard moved to Norfolk with us in 2016, but we since sold it and I don't recall finding the eyepieces when we cleared it out, but I know that I won't have just chucked them, so they may turn up somewhere, some day. The 4" mirror was glued to a cell that was attached to the tube by 3 or 4 small philips screws; there was no adjustment options for collimation.

4 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

I bought mine 2nd hand from somebody at school for £4 I think it was.

The mirror was held in the tube  with a spring clamp - no cell !!!!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/telescope-charles-frank-saturn-463138134

The images in that link look exactly like mine, but my mirror cell definitely didn't have any clamp, just screws. It was a suprisingly stable mount while it lasted, but the that lower bracket where the 3 short legs push in broke which made the scope unusable. I tried manufaturing some tube rings and mounting it on a camera tripod, but that was very unstable and shook like it was in a Mag 9 earthquake....!!

I really love my Istar Perseus 6” f/12. In my current house and garden, handling is actually practical. These days obviously, with Jupiter, Saturn and Mars, either with my WO bino or my 14mm Delos provides wonderful views. Matches perfectly with the Ayomaster II/ Berlebach Planet combo.

Would really like to try the Istar 6” f/15?.

My shortest “grab’n-go” is my FrT100 (1200mm) with the Ayodigi II and Planet or Uni28.

Best Regards,

Anders

My longest was the Anteres 105 F15, this was the one with a chip in the lens, and when i got it there was a home made aperture reducer fitted to blank out the chip, this took the scope up to F19, but i removed it taking back to native F15, a lovely scope but just to long to be sensible, glad i owned it though

antares 105.jpg

9 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

My longest was the Anteres 105 F15, this was the one with a chip in the lens, and when i got it there was a home made aperture reducer fitted to blank out the chip, this took the scope up to F19, but i removed it taking back to native F15, a lovely scope but just to long to be sensible, glad i owned it though

antares 105.jpg

That was a lovely looking scope Jules. Big mount needed really though I guess?

Certainly the long focal ratio scopes LOOK longer (and more elegant) than those dumpy faster newts ;)

My Carton 60mm f16.7 looked very long!!

Funnily enough, the one with the longest focal length is the Mak, 4000mm!

53D2AE83-B974-438B-9935-AA507074AF22.jpeg

DB542EF8-4DB9-4D94-972E-BE40654E50E6.jpeg

19A7AB5A-403C-4D7B-95EE-561252F0022F.jpeg

238F70B3-1A12-4C1D-90EF-5533DBD4713A.jpeg

Archived