SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

APM 24mm Ultra Flat Eyepiece

Jforson

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of using the APM Ultra Flat 24mm? 

Any feedback appreciated especially if you have also used an ES 24mm (68°) which I am also considering.  

Thanks

I don't have the 24mm but I do have the 30mm and it is a lovely EP. I use it for white light with a Baader Herschel Wedge and it shows lots of very nice detail. In that set-up it shows lovely contrasty images with little or no CA and the eyecup and eye relief are very comfortable to use.

I've not used it under a dark sky yet so can't comment on that.

If you need to wear eyeglasses and have a 2" focuser, I think you're probably better off with a 22mm TS Expanse or similar.  I have the Astro Tech AF70 version and love it.  It holds up very well out to about 95% of the field where some slight astigmatism creeps in.  It's flat of field as near as I can tell.  With the eye cup screwed off, the entire 70 degree field is very easy to take in with eyeglasses.  I had toyed with purchasing the 24mm APM UFF, but the massively recessed eye lens and 65 degree field tipped the scale against it.  I just don't need a maximum field 1.25" eyepiece at 24mm all that often, if ever.

Archived