SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eqmod finding com port problems

solarboy

I'm been using eqmod on my Heq5 no probs 

I have just got a eqmod cable of eq6 and say configure in eqmod  cart du ceil and click on the bins it keep saying port not found can anyone tell what going on and how resolve it 

Solarboy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also if you want multiple apps to connect to the same eqmod profile at once, make sure they are all running as administrator, or it might open several instances and the port will be blocked on one of them.

You have already been using EQMOD with your HEQ5 then its,under normal conditions, nothing to do with software/Admin/instances. As others have said the only new item will be your EQ6 Eqmod cable so the problem will be with that bit of kit - unless you are not changing the properties to match the Com port number of the new Eq6 cable. So as others have said check the USB/Serial Port adapter is creating a new WORKING port in devices and is not marked with a ! - which means its not installed correctly and needs a driver installed. I also suggest you disconnect your old HEQ5/EQMOD cable from the PC to simplify com port identification.

You could even start your PC with NO USB/Serial Adapters connected (not plugged in at all) , Open Device Manager , plug the USB Serial port adapter in and watch for the changers in device manager - it takes a couple of minutes at most. If nothing happens then the cable is DOA.

Hi guys 

I have an Heq5 Pro and Eq6 got a eqmod cable to connect Heq5 click on the bins instant connection port 5 using cartes du ciel . Got a eqmod cable for the Eq6 plugged it in it don't want to know clicked on the bins  port not found try one to 16 ports tried device manager it tells me its there but still nothing.

what am I missing 

Solarboy 

1 hour ago, solarboy said:

Hi guys 

I have an Heq5 Pro and Eq6 got a eqmod cable to connect Heq5 click on the bins instant connection port 5 using cartes du ciel . Got a eqmod cable for the Eq6 plugged it in it don't want to know clicked on the bins  port not found try one to 16 ports tried device manager it tells me its there but still nothing.

what am I missing 

Solarboy 

What port number has device manager assigned to the eqdir module ?

4 hours ago, solarboy said:

Set eqmod to comport 3 the eqmod page pops up and disappears as quick as it appears 

Start EQMOD using the toolbox applicaiton that installs with EQMOD. The toolbox, unlike a lot of other ASCOM applicaitons,  will not immediately close down EQMOD if connection to the mount fails - allowing you to see the error message EQMOD is most likely displaying.

13 hours ago, solarboy said:

The device manager is saying comport 3

Set eqmod to comport 3 the eqmod page pops up and disappears as quick as it appears 

Solarboy

Can you open device manager and the com/lp ports and do a screen snap shot and post the image on here. Also do the same,screen print,for the Com port showing its properties/details/events tab. Might shed some light on the problem. 

Have you tried your HEQ5 cable on your EQ6? I seem to remember the Lynx ones are compatible.

Edit: Sorry, That may be bum info if you have the earlier version of the EQ6 rather than the ‘R’.

I would contact Hitecastro and ask them to confirm that the cable you have been sent is the new FDTI chip and not the older Prolific chip set - there should be a product code to identify it. Plus screen prints of the device manager would be helpful.

If it looks like the image below with the word Prolific or an ! next to it - you should send it back - IMHO

Just to confirm,sorry for being a bore, your procedure :

Did you download the driver (assuming FDTI) https://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php/support/category/eqdir-adapter 32 or 64bit depending on your OS version

do you

1. Load CDC,Power On Scope

2. Click connect Telescope 

3.  Click Select  - Ascom chooser window appears

4. Click on properties - EQMOD ascom set up appears - only need this for the first time or when you have changed port numbers

5. Click on port (EQ6 Adapter com port as shown in Device Manager) from drop down menu - Baud rate 9600   or use Find button - then click OK and click OK

6. Back on Ascom Telescope Interface click "connect" button. At this stage it will connect or flash up/down EQMOD window if it fails.

prolific.jpg

Have you tried a different laptop? Does Eqmod cope well with different mounts on the same PC? As they would both fall under the same Eqmod profile? Try updating Ascom to 2.0?

Failing that, I'd do what bottletopburly says. Send it back and get the Lynx astro one.

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Have you tried a different laptop? Does Eqmod cope well with different mounts on the same PC? As they would both fall under the same Eqmod profile? Try updating Ascom to 2.0?

IMHO this will not make any difference . As someone else has said send the cable back . However you have never shown us the Windows Device Manager window with the EQ6 connected - so people really are stuck to help. You know it all works with a HEQ5 and its Adapter so the software is fine .

IMO it all points to the Adapter not being installed correctly or just not working.

Do you have a handset for the EQ6 and does this drive the EQ6 ok - just in case the board in the EQ6 in damaged (Hope not !)  

Archived