SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open-Air Pier Mount

Kaliska

With my garden not quite big enough to house a dedicated observatory, I thought I'd just install a pier in the middle of it.

Just wondering if any of you ladies and gents do the same? Do you disassemble the mount each session, or keep it on the pier 24/7 (protected from the elements)?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used a telegizmo cover with my rig on the terrace for about 6 months. I got a cover that was for a large dob, so it covered the tripod to the floor with it being a large tube. I left everything on in situ...... computer, cameras, focusers the lot...... didn't seem to be any untoward issues. After a lot of rain I'd take the cover off and make sure any moisture dried out.

As I said I did it for 6 months through rain and wind without issue. Sure my temperatures didn't reach much below -2 degrees, but it could get a bit toasty on a hot spring day. 

We did put a 25kg bag of sand on each tripod leg to give extra support in the high winds we get.

I have a concrete pier sunk into the middle of the garden, with everything either permanently fitted\bolted to it, including PC's etc or removable when off to camps etc.  I then have a very heavy duty cover to go over it, if rain\snow etc. threatens.

A picture tells many stories....

IMG_2018_07_13_1197.JPG

IMG_2018_07_13_1201.JPG

Just make sure any pier or post is 'independent' from any surrounding decking or boarding.

I have seen peoples imaging  rigs (scope, camera and tripod) all sat on a raised garden decking platform.  They must stay very, very  still during exposures or walk on rice paper like  Kwai Chang Caine  !!

It's no problem if the decking is done properly. First dig a hole for the pier Concrete the pier in or bolt the pier on to the concrete. Build the decking around the pier making sure the decking or it's supports don't come in contact with the pier or the concrete. The only possible vibration comes from wind.That's where some sort of Obsey  is useful also combats stray light...Dave

I have a 75cm x 75cm concrete block with my home designed pier bolted to it, it totally transformed my imaging time and takes about 15 minutes from scratch before I am imaging.

I have a lean to at the side of my home which houses my network point, 12v power supplies and 12v cable, mount and weights, so all I have to do is unroll the cables, mount the scope and mount, pop up my tent and plug my laptop in and we are ready to go. My Scopes/cameras I keep in side.

I have a big enough garden but the only suitable place for an observatory would be in the middle and my wife would not like that, the pop up tent take 10secs to erect and keep the dew off the laptop and then I control everything from my study until packing up time. In the winter I roll some artificial lawn down to stop things getting muddy.

I am looking at some Telegizmo covers so that I can leave the mount outside with the weights on, but just need to work out a size.

RC_on_pier.jpg.32c9311d6a31adb672d6f4a1adf9bd71.jpg

I've kept my vintage mountings out of doors for years.

Lightweight woven tarpaulins don't last forever.

They and poly bags underneath eventually die from UV-itis.

Multiple layers or commercial covers are probably better.

I've been tempted by long life, heavyweight tarpaulins but haven't invested.

I just keep fitting new woven "leaf collection" bags when they "wear out."

A cord around the base of the bag helps keep out the birds and wasps.

I had a nest in the fork of my MkIV once so tightened the noose. [No eggs!]

No sure about the longevity of cosmetics or complex electronics on modern mountings though.

My mountings do "weather" over time despite being covered.

Condensation and dew are constantly cycled by soaring temperatures.

Watch out for wind though. I've had massive, cast iron piers with flared bases topple over in gales.

Fix any pier down to ample concrete!

Well, after picking up a second hand pier from @JohnC64   last week, thought this weekend I should make a start.

IMG_0611.thumb.JPG.9974e3f1842a77ff18dcdb13839f7569.JPG

IMG_0616.thumb.JPG.7c2df41c67ca8964bb5d8f8d1ead800d.JPG

(time to earn his pocket money for a change)

IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.a1d29dffe2c00f68a99c9fc1b728f748.JPG

(suitably leveled with with self leveling compound)

545859217_IMG_06183601.thumb.JPG.19b11dc571acd92332bf63a65e134f67.JPG

Getting ready to be aligned tonight.

2 hours ago, JamesF said:

Well I'm intrigued by what appears to be a geodesic dome on the edge of each frame :) 

James

I'm 3/4's of the way through a domed green house, just need to get the clear PVC sheeting & stich it up.....

Are those Tele-gizmo  covers any good. ??   

I bring my scope in most nights, but leave the Heq5 outside in alignment for a fast start if the following evening looks good. Presently,  I cover it with a an IKEA blue sack and a Cygnus cover, but on its recent upgrade to belted status the guys at RVO said it had signs of internal rust...... Eek...makes you wonder.

2 hours ago, Craney said:

Are those Tele-gizmo  covers any good. ??   

This cover has been recommended by a few SGL members here and reading up on it, i haven't seen anything better and it's really well constructed. @FLO   recommended the right size for my setup and it's plenty big enough. I can only recommend on this first initial viewing and I'm glad i spent the little extra.

Archived