Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED PRO

On 15/07/2018 at 11:14, paulastro said:

Stu is quite right of course, improved resolution and brightness with the larger scope.

If I still had an 120ED and was thinking about a 150ED though I would certainly want to compare the two scopes before taking the plunge.  The 120s are superb value high performing refractors and IF the 150ED was made of the same glass and the optics made to the same quality I can't see there being anything to be concerned about. However it isn't the same glass and we don't know about the optics quality.

I'm sure SkyWatcher won't have produced a lemon and I expect it to be a great scope and excellent value, but we don't really know yet how it compares optically with the 120ED.  It will probably be better on some measures, but will the difference be enough to make the transition worthwhile?  There will be other considerations too, such as size, portability and if people need to buy a bigger mount to accommodate it.

It's a nice decision to have to make though - rather a win win situation.

Ditto dilemma for me but swap the ED 120 for a Meade 5000 127  Apo - I’m pretty happy with this current weapon. 

Will I see more via the increased brightness, contrast, resolution and magnification ???  

Going around in circles since the price was announced!!  Wait a while for reviews and for a few planets to make a move north. LOL ??????

John 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cant believe its only 9.5Kg also!.. that's not a lot of weight for a lot of scope!. Shame they did not pay more attention to the focuser, but you cant have it all I guess. This is now at the top of my upgrade list also!.

On 13/07/2018 at 07:06, parallaxerr said:

I wish you hadn't said that John. It's only mount considerations that are holding me back.....I have an HEQ5 & pillar extension on 2" steel tripod ?

Me too!.. hence top of my upgrade route in 18 ish months or so. Steve (FLO) be ready for quite a few orders over the next 12 months!

2 hours ago, scitmon said:

Slightly off topic (sorry) but I notice that the description says payload capacity is 20kg, but Skywatcher's website says 18kg?  There is a similar discrepancy with the AZ-EQ6 too.

That is interesting. 20kg comes from Sky-Watcher's UK importer/distributor (it's why our web page says 'manufacturer's spec'). Where are you reading 18kg? 

We normally quote our own payload capacity based on experience of owners but it is still early days for the EQ6-R Pro. I will start another discussion asking owners for their thoughts. 

Steve 

35 minutes ago, FLO said:

That is interesting. 20kg comes from Sky-Watcher's UK importer/distributor (it's why our web page says 'manufacturer's spec'). Where are you reading 18kg? 

We normally quote our own payload capacity based on experience of owners but it is still early days for the EQ6-R Pro. I will start another discussion asking owners for their thoughts. 

Steve 

At the bottom of http://skywatcher.com/product/eq6-synscan/

The AZ-EQ6's page also says 20kg where you state 18kg for imaging, 25kg for visual. 

33 minutes ago, scitmon said:

The AZ-EQ6's page also says 20kg where you state 18kg for imaging, 25kg for visual. 

That is because we think Sky-Watcher's max payloads are a little optimistic (same as many other manufacturers) so at our website we suggest what we think are more realistic payloads. We have done the same for most other Sky-Watcher mounts. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 22:43, FLO said:

Some discounting spotted over the weekend, price now £1,645. 

Will continue to monitor prices ?

Now £1,620. 

We will continue to monitor prices. 

That is a fantastic price. I already have four refractors, but perhaps I might justify replacing my 150mm F8 Helios achromat  ( fungal infection on inside of OG) honestly, with the new Skywatcher !!    Chris.

28 minutes ago, BRADLEY 1953 said:

That is a fantastic price. I already have four refractors, but perhaps I might justify replacing my 150mm F8 Helios achromat  ( fungal infection on inside of OG) honestly, with the new Skywatcher !!    Chris.

Go on Chris, you know you want it - and you deserve it !!  :smile:

It seems that only a lack of credible reviews is holding many people back from pulling the trigger?

Steve, could FLO not arrange for a member who has an ED120 already or similar refractor to loan an ED150 to do a direct comparison /review?☺

Dave

3 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

It seems that only a lack of credible reviews is holding many people back from pulling the trigger?

Steve, could FLO not arrange for a member who has an ED120 already or similar refractor to loan an ED150 to do a direct comparison /review?☺

Dave

Good Idea Dave.  I've said the same thing to a friend of mine.

Just now, paulastro said:

Good Idea Dave.  I've said the same thing to a friend of mine.

Not for me to volunteer anyone, but John our eyepiece reviewing guru has the credibility/peer respect, and, er, he also owns an  ED120??

Dave

4 hours ago, F15Rules said:

a member who has an ED120 already or similar refractor to loan an ED150 to do a direct comparison /review?☺

Dave

Would that be a fair comparison though? Or are you thinking in terms of the 150's colour handling in comparison to the 120, or something else?  The scope itself must be pretty lengthy, maybe the potential for less comfortable viewing positions is off putting? I wonder what facet of the 150 will be key in deciding its podium place, and whether it will be perceived as a visual or imaging scope????

3 hours ago, Tim said:

Would that be a fair comparison though? Or are you thinking in terms of the 150's colour handling in comparison to the 120, or something else?  The scope itself must be pretty lengthy, maybe the potential for less comfortable viewing positions is off putting? I wonder what facet of the 150 will be key in deciding its podium place, and whether it will be perceived as a visual or imaging scope????

Yes, Tim, I was specifically thinking of PaulAstro's remarks:

"Stu is quite right of course, improved resolution and brightness with the larger scope.

If I still had an 120ED and was thinking about a 150ED though I would certainly want to compare the two scopes before taking the plunge.  The 120s are superb value high performing refractors and IF the 150ED was made of the same glass and the optics made to the same quality I can't see there being anything to be concerned about. However it isn't the same glass and we don't know about the optics quality.

I'm sure SkyWatcher won't have produced a lemon and I expect it to be a great scope and excellent value, but we don't really know yet how it compares optically with the 120ED.  It will probably be better on some measures, but will the difference be enough to make the transition worthwhile?  There will be other considerations too, such as size, portability and if people need to buy a bigger mount to accommodate it.

It's a nice decision to have to make though - rather a win win situation".

I don't image myself , so my interest is purely visual. Having owned several 6" F8 achromats and now a 5" fluorite APO, I can say that the additional aperture is very noticeable..However, much of any such light grasp increase of the achromats was negated by CA, increased light scatter and poorer contrast versus the apo..So, to me a good comparison of the new ED150 vs the FPL53 ED120 would be a good way to validate (or not) how well the new, non-FPL53 ED150 deals with these areas, and so whether the upgrade from 120 to 150 is worth going for?.

Dave

12 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

1824€. Unheard of.

It sounded like madness when it was first announced by Steve @FLO, that this scope was aimed at getting in below £2000. I thought, at the time, someone needs to shift that lads desk AWAY from the coffee maker, that's just an overly caffinated brain at work. Now we're in the low £1600's :eek:

43 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I wonder if anyone in the UK has actually bought one yet? Maybe they have but aren't members of this forum.

Have FLO sold one yet?

I would have thought the answer to this is almost certainly yes, SGL member or not.

I am surprised no-one has posted some sort of meaningful review on these pages.  Usually people are more likely to post a review on SGL if they are really enthusiastic about their new purchase and think it was a great buy, less so if they are luke warm about it or are even wandering if they have done the right thing.  When you also consider that as FLO point out the 150ED  ' .............. is this year's most anticipated new telescope!'  the paucity of any feedback is even more surprising.

Perhaps the lack of feedback on these pages is causing people to hang back and wait before purchasing.  Although the scope appears to be extremely good value for money - £1600 is still a lot to most people.  Also, just think, if they end up selling like hot cakes, there will be a second-hand market where the price will possibly be around £1000 or less !!  :smile: ?

By the way, I will come clean and say I am NOT a secret purchaser of this scope - I  wouldn't have been able to resist posting something about it if I was :smile:.

I have a new scope I am very excited about, and will post up a review as soon as I have written it!  :smile:

Archived