Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED PRO

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, FLO said:

Another at £1,649. Looks like it might settle there ... 

Just £440 more than an ED120 Pro :shocked:

Though you do get a diagonal and a finder with the 120. Still an amazing price.

5 minutes ago, SpaceBass said:

Great price.  Any mount recommendations for visual?

I have a scope of similar weight, length and girth. I found that an HEQ5 or a Celestron AVX or a Skytee II alt-azimuth mount are up to the job for visual observing. Needs a decent tripod too. The 2" steel tubed type or the Berlebach ash wood ones are the sort of thing required. Plus maybe a pillar extension as it's a long tube.

8 hours ago, John said:

I have a scope of similar weight, length and girth. I found that an HEQ5 or a Celestron AVX or a Skytee II alt-azimuth mount are up to the job for visual observing. Needs a decent tripod too. The 2" steel tubed type or the Berlebach ash wood ones are the sort of thing required. Plus maybe a pillar extension as it's a long tube.

I wish you hadn't said that John. It's only mount considerations that are holding me back.....I have an HEQ5 & pillar extension on 2" steel tripod ?

Some have asked if we will offer an Es' Reid bench test with the new Evostar 150ED. We are happy to do this, and we understand the peace of mind it provides, but the 150ED is a doublet and Sky-Watcher's ED doublet lens cells are well proven (practically bomb-proof!) so we do not consider it a necessary expense. The Es' Reid bench test was originally intended for Chinese-made triplets that typically sell below £1k (they promise the Earth but need a little help to perform). 

6 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I think I may have found my first and last frac!

It may be your first, but I doubt it would be your last; they have a habit of breeding!

Serious amount of scope for the money, very tempting indeed!!

7 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I am guessing this scope would be too much for a Vixen GP mount, it's the only EQ i have at the moment.

Yes, I would think a GP-DX or equivalent would be needed. Don’t think I would put one on my GP.

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

I have been thinking about one of these but a comparison of the FOV would indicate little change from my ED120.

Peter

Capture.JPG

Isn’t that missing taking into account the additional resolution provided by the aperture increase? You can’t just look at fov really I don’t think.

Stu is quite right of course, improved resolution and brightness with the larger scope.

If I still had an 120ED and was thinking about a 150ED though I would certainly want to compare the two scopes before taking the plunge.  The 120s are superb value high performing refractors and IF the 150ED was made of the same glass and the optics made to the same quality I can't see there being anything to be concerned about. However it isn't the same glass and we don't know about the optics quality.

I'm sure SkyWatcher won't have produced a lemon and I expect it to be a great scope and excellent value, but we don't really know yet how it compares optically with the 120ED.  It will probably be better on some measures, but will the difference be enough to make the transition worthwhile?  There will be other considerations too, such as size, portability and if people need to buy a bigger mount to accommodate it.

It's a nice decision to have to make though - rather a win win situation.

7 minutes ago, paulastro said:

....  There will be other considerations too, such as size, portability and if people need to buy a bigger mount to accommodate it.

Important considerations. It's down to personal circumstances, physical fitness and other things of course, but I've found 6" refractors that I've owned quite hard work to set up, mount well and to tear down at the end of a session. The ED120 is practically grab and go by comparison.

As you say though, nice choices to make :smiley:

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Isn’t that missing taking into account the additional resolution provided by the aperture increase? You can’t just look at fov really I don’t think.

No I agree but the FOV would be very important. I'll just stick with the ED120 for now I think.

Peter

29 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

I'll just stick with the ED120 for now I think.

I agree. If you don’t value the 150ED’s higher magnification, greater brightness and increased resolution then, yes, it isn’t worth upgrading. The smaller/lighter/cheaper 120ED remains an excellent telescope. 

Steve 

On 12/07/2018 at 15:53, FLO said:

Regarding price. £1,699 is the launch price here in the UK but we'll monitor our competitors and price-match if we see any discounting ?

On 12/07/2018 at 19:17, FLO said:

That didn’t take long ?

FLO’s price is reset to £1,649. I see the reducer/flattener and rings & dovetail set have also been discounted so we have reduced those prices too. 

Will keep watching ?

On 12/07/2018 at 19:23, FLO said:

Another at £1,649. Looks like it might settle there ... 

Some discounting spotted over the weekend, price now £1,645. 

Will continue to monitor prices ?

16 hours ago, FLO said:

I agree. If you don’t value the 150ED’s higher magnification, greater brightness and increased resolution then, yes, it isn’t worth upgrading. The smaller/lighter/cheaper 120ED remains an excellent telescope. 

Steve 

Do I spot a bit of sarcasm there. Surely not.

In my advanced years I am finding my C9.25 a bit of a handful and am looking for a more manageable scope for planetary imaging (not a reflector). I love refractors and I am sure that this is a lovely bit of kit but it does not meet my requirements. Perhaps I'll just keep my views to myself in future.

Peter

31 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

In my advanced years I am finding my C9.25 a bit of a handful and am looking for a more manageable scope for planetary imaging (not a reflector). I love refractors and I am sure that this is a lovely bit of kit but it does not meet my requirements. Perhaps I'll just keep my views to myself in future.

Peter

I‘m sure Steve was not being sarcastic. He just pointed out the reasons to take into consideration beyond fov which would make the 150ED worth considering. In your case it would be as much of a handful as the 925 so it doesn’t make sense. For others it would.

4 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

None intended. Honest ?

I am in a similar situation to you. I bought my youngest son a 5" f8.3 achromat refractor (he is quite keen on astronomy). I have been pondering upgrading it to an Evostar-120ED but decided he wouldn't see enough difference. But the Evostar-150ED... Now that is much more tempting! He would definitely notice a difference. Though it would be unwieldy and expensive for someone his age. 

Archived