Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

Dreamlad

Daystar Quark Combo

Hi,

I have a Celestron 8'' SCT and Meade ETX-80 AT.

Now I wanna configure one of them for solar observation using Daystar Quark Combo.

I know I need to buy a front-mounted ERF for either of the scopes in order to use Daystar Quark combo.

Which one do you guys recommend to use? SCT or ETX-80? Which one is cheaper to configure?

Thanks!

To be bluntly honest, I wouldn't use either. The SCT will need an off-axis ERF which is going to limit the aperture to about 60mm and the ETX80 is still only 80mm. If you don't already have a combo Quark, I think you will have better results with a standard Quark and a 100mm achromatic refractor.

Welcome to SGL.  😀 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

ill 2nd a quark chromosphere and 100mm frac, it dosnt have to be a costly one but aslong as it a doublet with a all metal construction ie lens cell, tube and focuser you will be fine, you will also need a ir/uv cut filter to fit to your wedge acting as a ERF. charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Like 2

"Iill 2nd a quark chromosphere and 100mm frac, it dosnt have to be a costly one but as long as it a doublet with a all metal construction ie lens cell, tube and focuser you will be fine"

My Quark Chromosphere and Bresser ar 102 xs...........great combo.