SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New user

Wayne86

Hello every one my name is Wayne I am from Middlesbrough in the UK Anyone close to me? 

Always been interested in the stars and plantets but never really had a telescope until about 6 months ago got given a basic £30 telescope from Argos and enjoyed looking at the moon.

I bought a skywatcher explorer 130 EQ2 the other day and the different is amazing, I am still learning alot of things about exploring the sky e.g using a red light, how to turn the telescope correctly but I am getting there slowly.

I have a 25, 10 and a 6 lenses plus a Barlow I bought this telescope to look at the plants mainly plus other clusters of stars big dipper n galaxy's are also a target .

At the moment I use it in my back garden as it darker then most, once I understands how to use it correct I will branch out for much darker spots.

I tried birk brow at the car park the first night but not only was I not using the telescope correct but wagons where pulling in and cars with there lights on. 

A better spot will be needed any ideas from any locals and tip from anyone will be greatfull as I am only a beginner 

Hi ripon and des i hope your right about my scope when I bought it the information said I can see up to Saturn and its rings plus the moon's passing over it... I hope this information is correct but the bad news is since buying it had nothing but cloud in the sky... so frustrating.

How long have you both been using scopes for? Any advice?

Rest assured pal,  your scope is more than capable of seeing saturn.you just need patience and the right conditions. I haven't seen it myself yet. It's been in the wrong place for me so far.. 

I've only been looking for a couple of months so I'm a noob still. 

Jas

thank you for the welcome everyone.

Ripon where are you from like? 

I have a app on my phone called sky map and Saturn is high enough for me as long as I get in a dark place and high enough so I get to see the full sky without objects in my way. 

5 minutes ago, ronl said:

Hello Wayne, and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the community, see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.

Will take me a while to get use to it. Only getting 4/5 hours darkness so it's hard to say up late at the moment 

Yes this is not a good time for observing, I have been retired for a couple of years, so I can stay out 

all night, well, until I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

Enjoy what time you do get to observe.

1 hour ago, Wayne86 said:

thank you for the welcome everyone.

Ripon where are you from like? 

I have a app on my phone called sky map and Saturn is high enough for me as long as I get in a dark place and high enough so I get to see the full sky without objects in my way. 

Hi Wayne,  like my name I'm from Ripon so not too far south of you. But I have limited view in the direction of Saturn currently,  houses etc... 

1 hour ago, ronl said:

Yes this is not a good time for observing, I have been retired for a couple of years, so I can stay out 

all night, well, until I can't keep my eyes open any longer.

Enjoy what time you do get to observe.

I have a flexible job so looking forward to the early nights myself

23 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Welcome to SGL. Your scope is capable of seeing all of the planets in the solar system and much more.

I hope so.. just looking forward to my next clear sky so I cam have a look about in the sky and learn 

Hi, Wayne, and welcome to SGL.

Not particularly close to you (although compared to the distances to the objects we observe, right next door!) so can't offer any advice on local dark spots, but hope you find one. The difference a really dark sky makes is incredible.

Enjoy the journey.

Archived