Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

Stu

The cheapest way to see a shadow transit?

I was out with the Tak tonight getting some lovely views of the Io shadow transit, when I wondered whether I could see it with my TAL Alkor 65mm Light Thimble! This was purchased from a very fine gentleman on this forum for about the price of a decent used ortho.

Straight out of the shed, no cooling time really, lined up on Jupiter using the built in sighting circles, I got Jupiter in view fairly easily at low power, x33. I switched straight up to high power, x133, focused and recentred and bang, there it was, quite clear. I must have hit a patch of decent seeing because it did come and go a bit with the seeing later on, but there was no doubting it. I dropped back to mid power, x88 and it was harder but still do-able. I find one annoyance with the scope is that when I focus or move it, my hand causes tube currents for a short period afterwards, the shadow disappeared each time when this happened at x88 but came back as soon as it settled.

A bit of fun, I do enjoy pushing these little scopes to see what they can do.

• Like 11

Nice report  Stu, quality optics in those Russian scopes :smiley:

When I get some clear sky I'll see if my 70mm TV Ranger can pick up a transit shadow.

• Like 2

The cheapest way I ever saw a shadow transit was to look through someone else's scope 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Moonshane said:

The cheapest way I ever saw a shadow transit was to look through someone else's scope 😁

That surely deserves a ‘Baduum Tissshhh’ :) :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, John said:

Nice report  Stu, quality optics in those Russian scopes :smiley:

When I get some clear sky I'll see if my 70mm TV Ranger can pick up a transit shadow.

Thanks John. I’m sure the Pronto should do it with the right conditions. I’ve managed in a Tak 60mm before. Io is the easiest because the shadow is biggest I think.

Come up to The Astronomy Centre nr Todmorden on a Saturday night and see shadow transits for nothing :smile:.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulastro said:

Come up to The Astronomy Centre nr Todmorden on a Saturday night and see shadow transits for nothing :smile:.

Free to get in but just try getting out again without making a donation!  👹   😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2