Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

J Herscel Crater

geoflewis

With cloudy skies over Norfolk I'm taking the opportunity to catych up on my backlog of lunar images captured on 25 June. Here's a look at J Herschel creater on the north western limb (62N 42W) of the Moon as seen on lunar day 12.

1289511156_JHerschelCrater_2018-06-25-2236_2-R_P10_R6_PS.thumb.jpg.28d0297e5bcb8317af93506ae7f81e24.jpg

There are 3 lunar craters named after 'Herschels', this one being a 165 km (103 miles) diameter impact crater of unknown depth. Between J Herschel and the lunar limb are Anaximander (69km) and Carpenter (59km) craters, the latter being barely visible along the lunar terminator, with just it's northern rim highlighted by the sun.

Regards, Geof

7 hours ago, orion25 said:

Nice images, Geof. I'm sure you must have quite a few great pictures of Luna after you sort through all your data.

Let's moonwalk!

Reggie

Hi Reggie,

Many thanks for the feedback. I did get the rest of my lunar images processed, most of which fell in the 'nice try, but could could do better' category. I posted several of them on the same thread a week or so ago; they are not even close to the standard produced by the recent lunar challenge winners, so something to aim for. I've done very little lunar imaging and found it much more challenging than I anticipated, especially that my ASI120 capture rate was a rather slow 20fps at the chosen ROI of 960x960 and that different parts of the moon required different capture settings. I've read Avani's suggestion to use an IR filter in poor seeing, but that would give an even slower capture rate, so I'd never even considered it. I also saw that he recommends using a green filter in better seeing, whereas I'd used a red filter. I've been chatting to my planetary/lunar imaging mentor, Dave Tyler, who explained the science of why green is better than red in good seeing (something to do with it's shorter wavelenght, hence 1/10th wave of a shorter focal length give's better resolution than 1/10th wave of a longer FL), so I'll have to give that a try.

Cheers, Geof

4 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

That is an impressive result with the libration working against you.

Thanks DP, I hadn't even considered that, I was merely filling in time between capturing Jupiter and Saturn, shooting random lunar features, totally unplanned. Me thinks that I need to pay the Moon a bit more attention. Cheers, Geof

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Me thinks that I need to pay the Moon a bit more attention. Cheers, Geof

Great high res shot of the Herschel crater Geof, I think we all tend to neglect our nearest neighbour sometimes!

Archived