Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 10th July 2018 - clear forecast, no jetstream!

Stu

Plenty going on with Jupiter tonight!

Io Transit starts at 7.57pm

Io Shadow Transit begins 9.06pm

Io Transit ends 10.06pm

Io Shadow Transit ends 11.17pm

GRS transits 11.17pm, looks to be fully on the disk from around 9.30pm

A good time should be at 10pm, GRS fully on the disk, Io Shadow around the meridian and Io itself towards the limb so might start to be visible whilst still on the surface.

The jetstream is not overhead (thank you Gerry ;)), so fingers crossed for good seeing. Forecast clear, challenge will be picking up Jupiter from as early as possible. Who is lucky enough to have their goto pre-aligned? :)

Get out there boys & girls!! :)

20E89D8F-EF6A-4B18-A6CD-D369DD18B869.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally in the field of view! Io transit nice and clear. No sign of Io based on a brief look but I didn’t expect to get it in the middle of the disk.

Had to clean my eyepieces, amazing how the muck shows up in the twilight!

Back out now!

Seeing a bit wobbly but still plenty of detail to be seen.

I keep wondering if I can see Io itself but suspect it is just another feature. There is a bright patch below the NEB in roughly the right place, but I think it is too far south, should probably be on the NEB. Will have to keep watching to see.

Seeing varying for me but when it’s good, it’s very very good. Best views I’ve had for a few years. I can clearly count 8 dark cloud bands. Shadow transit and GRS very clear. I also believe I got io before it left the surface. Definitely worth going out for ?

(using my Pentax xw 7mm for 160x)

Thanks for the heads up Stu. I'm out with the eight inch Newtonian now. Jupiter is bubbling away, in and out of focus with the sky conditions. But as always, patience rewards. 

Martin

Packed away now, early start and seeing dropped off for me too. I think that is as much to do with it being over houses later on as anything else.

Some decent views, coming and going but the shadow was always very clear in the Tak. Decent belt detail too, I didn't count but plenty visible although I'm sure not as clear as Gavin's view!! :)

Io did show up just before it left the surface, but was not visible beforehand, only my phantom Io in the wrong place!!

The view just after Io left the limb was lovely, with the shadow just off centre and GRS clear on the other limb. Great stuff!

Looking at the timings, I reckon I first detected Io at about 10.05, that was when it had just made contact with the limb so I suspect my eye was drawn to it by the slight bulge as much as anything. Tricky to know, I may have spotted it just before but I think not.

76969E1A-D95C-4334-97C6-FD648AAE302F.png

I threw my new WO 71 onto my cheap camera tripod to see if it's any good for grab and go. Wobbly! Even so, I cast it towards Jupiter and at first the seeing was good with the 2 main band's on show. I thought I could see a black speck as well but I wasn't aware of the transit until I seen Io peek out from the side. A quick look on Sky Safari and there was indeed a shadow transit! Unfortunately I couldn't spot it again as struggled to focus on my wobbly EBay tripod. I shan't be risking the WO on top of it again!

Archived