SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bubble in the TEC140.

ollypenrice

Taken with Serbian guests over the last two nights, here we have the Bubble Nebula in HaOIIIRGB.  It's a crop. You should be able to click on it for almost full size.

Ha 15x20 mins.

OIII 4x20 mins.

RGB 4x15 mins per channel.

TEC 140/ATIK460/MESU 200.

Unfortunately the tricksy Astrodon Ha filter is in the other rig so this is with a Baader 7nm. OIII is via an abominable Astronomik filter which was a replacement, years ago, for an even worse one! However, you can get away with murder if only adding NB data to RGB. Maybe I need to splash out on a pair of Astrodons. Eek!

Ha to red, OIII to green and blue, colour balanced to resemble the RGB-only layer.

303575874_BubbleHaOIIIRGBcrop.thumb.jpg.eb0e3285be2b06637af3503c7005b548.jpg

Olly

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Thats a beautiful Bubble nebula Olly. Theres certainly Nowt wrong with that Baader 7nm?

I'd still like to try the Astrodon, though. It gives more contrast and smaller stars. Fortunately, on this target, the interesting Ha is all strong so it could stand heavy local contrast emphasis in post processing without breaking down. It was a fine image by Goran Nilsson using Liverpool Telescope data which encouraged me to push the contrasts in the nebulae just above the Bubble very hard indeed.

Olly

28 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Very nice Olly - It looks very natural indeed despite having been taken in Narrowband!! Careful you'll be doing a Hubble palette next :) 

Ooooh no!

I don't like it. ?

Actually, ever since coming up with the idea when doing the Seagull with Mr and Mrs Gnomus, I've been very partial to HaOIIIRGB and making three layers, all HaRGB but with the top one having OIII added to blue and the middle one OIII added to green. This allows you to control the OIII distribution between green and blue in real time with visualization. I try to keep it looking as much like the RGB as possible, with a bit of licence.

Olly

Edit: For comparison, here's the RGB-only. I don't process this layer very far because it's only a vehicle for the NB really.

26516808_RGBcolourforcomparison..thumb.jpg.2124e2bf527082e00939f27fa8c572b3.jpg

That is more than excellent Olly! Not far at all from the Liverpool Telescope version. Apparently a 140 mm refractor can compete with a 20 000 mm reflector. Did you ever test your hypothesis that a small scope with a small pixel camera can match a large scope with a large pixel camera? (I have not been checking SGL daily recently as we have no astrodarkness up here and a fantastic summer to enjoy)

That's an impressive image.

45 minutes ago, gorann said:

That is more than excellent Olly! Not far at all from the Liverpool Telescope version. Apparently a 140 mm refractor can compete with a 20 000 mm reflector. Did you ever test your hypothesis that a small scope with a small pixel camera can match a large scope with a large pixel camera? (I have not been checking SGL daily recently as we have no astrodarkness up here and a fantastic summer to enjoy)

It certainly can compete. Especially considering you're trying to match 30 um pixels (15 um binned 2x) behind a 2 m mirror, sitting on a mountain top high above the clouds.

For comparison, here's the stacked but unprocessed Ha master I have on my HD (45 x 120 s Ha from the LT). Just PixInsight STF applied.

ngc7635_Ha_stf.thumb.jpg.4a0dd28d1bce071acd66256e291f52c7.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I did and I think it can. My test cases were M51 and M101, both imaged a while ago in a 14 inch at 0.64"PP and again more recently in the TEC at 0.9"PP. Of course the 14 inch images are bigger but with one small exception in the core of M101, there are no details visible in one that do not appear in the other. In a nutshell you can get close to what's possible in amateur imaging with a six inch class refractor in my opinion. This is not particularly good news on the cost front but it is very good news on the simplicity front. And our TEC, used with a full frame camera which it easily covers, can also be a scope with enough FOV for M42 and the Running Man, the Horse and Flame, etc etc. So is the 6 inch frac the nearest thing to 'one scope for everything?' Could be...

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I did and I think it can. My test cases were M51 and M101, both imaged a while ago in a 14 inch at 0.64"PP and again more recently in the TEC at 0.9"PP. Of course the 14 inch images are bigger but with one small exception in the core of M101, there are no details visible in one that do not appear in the other. In a nutshell you can get close to what's possible in amateur imaging with a six inch class refractor in my opinion. This is not particularly good news on the cost front but it is very good news on the simplicity front. And our TEC, used with a full frame camera which it easily covers, can also be a scope with enough FOV for M42 and the Running Man, the Horse and Flame, etc etc. So is the 6 inch frac the nearest thing to 'one scope for everything?' Could be...

Olly

Thanks Olly! You made my year since I invested in an Esprit 150 just before astrodarkness left us up here!!

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

OIII is via an abominable Astronomik filter which was a replacement, years ago, for an even worse one!

Olly

I was thinking about going with Astronomik filters, whats the issue with the OIII? Or is it a older filter?

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

I was thinking about going with Astronomik filters, whats the issue with the OIII? Or is it a older filter?

It's an old filter which was sent to replace one which gave haloes. This gives them as well and is essentially junk. I can't imagine that the modern Astronomiks are like this. I just found it in my box and am using it for now on this rig.

Olly

Archived