SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A hair in a Nagler?

OK, so I just received a used 3.5mm T6 Nagler from UKABS. Externally it is pristine but on looking through it in daylight, it was immediately obvious there's what looks like a hair inside. Seen in 6 o clock position in attached image.

I unscrewed the barrel from the nosepiece to see if I could blow it out, but it looks like it's in the top group of elements, which I obviously won't be disassembling.

Thoughts? Should this bother me? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have passed QC @ Tele-Vue like this which leads to me thinking the EP has been opened up by a previous owner ?

20180710_111545 1.jpg

2 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

I had the exact thing, I could see the hair through peripheral vision. It wasn't fully detrimental to observing, but kind of annoying. For a brand new EP, It should be immaculate. Return/replace it? 

Intersting that you experienced the same thing, I didn't think TV would let something like this go.

It's a second hand item so may be able to return if the seller is fair, but not replace for the same price.

If the item were new, there's a good chance the hair - with a little of DNA testing - will prove to be Chinese. Even Televues are made in China - I think. 

That being said, if it's second hand, I guess you can always unscrew it and clean it up. Shouldn't be difficult. You won't be breaking any warranties. 

If it was purchased 'new' by the seller then I am sure it would have failed TeleVue's QC dept wherever it was made.

That being said, I believe TeleVue do sometimes sell their sub-par equipment at prices below the SRP.

40 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

Should this bother me? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have passed QC @ Tele-Vue like this which leads to me thinking the EP has been opened up by a previous owner

Yes it should.. those eyepiece are collimated for maximum performance, and there are warnings from televue about dismantling them... if it's been disassembled than there is a chance that the eyepiece will not perform as intended... If I were in your shoes, I'd be returning it as faulty.

Sigh....I don't half have some bad luck with astro items, new and used. I'm not really happy that the hair's there. If it was sold below SRP when new, then I've possibly paid too much and if the hair has got in through disassembly then obviously ist's a big no-no. Glad I paid Paypal fees on this one, hopefully the seller will be amicable though.

I think many people are proffering good advice if it was a new eyepiece. Whether it was visible when observing or not, when paying a premium price, one expects and is entitled to, a premium product Jon. 

However, as you’ve pointed out you have bought this as a previously owned item. Therefore I suppose the first question is did the seller mention this in the advert? I presume that from the surprise that you have shown that the answer is no… Therefore you are right to question should it bother me?

The second question I guess is, how much of a bargain was it ? If it was an absolute steal that might influence your thinking compared to it being close to new cost. 

Finally, what is it going to be used to observe ?

I had an Abbe Super Ortho delivered new with a small hair against the field stop. Didn’t think it would bother me until I was using it for Lunar. Against the bright background it was so obvious. So back it went...

Those would be the questions I’d be asking myself. But I think I’d be erring towards discussing it with the seller...

I paid £170 and no, the hair wasn't mentioned in the ad. If it was new I would return it immediately, but regardless of price, I still want my Tele-Vue to be premium and this doesn't feel so.

The plan was to use it on rare occasion, when conditions allow, for high mag planetary observation maybe including Lunar so it "may" be an issue.

I just received this reply from the seller. He seems happy to take it apart, but I won't be doing so. I think I'll take him up on his offer to return it.

"I purchased it second hand from the original purchaser.

All I can say is I never noticed the hair even when I took the photos for you prior to packing, I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it as it looks pretty obvious. I'm presuming it must have been at the outer edge of the eyepiece un-noticeable and became dislodged during transit.

No worries, just return the eyepiece and I'll refund your payment that's fine. I'll remove the hair, it's not difficult to do as long as you know what you're doing and careful."

2 hours ago, parallaxerr said:

Sigh....I don't half have some bad luck with astro items, new and used. I'm not really happy that the hair's there. If it was sold below SRP when new, then I've possibly paid too much and if the hair has got in through disassembly then obviously ist's a big no-no. Glad I paid Paypal fees on this one, hopefully the seller will be amicable though.

Pp, ebay and Amazon buyer protection is worthing paying a bit extra for, to use them rather than straight from an unknown seller. Having used it, I have never lost money on soiled or damaged goods. 

Glad it all worked out for you ?

Had you decided to keep it, you can sometimes tap the side of an eyepiece to dislodge dirt or hair.  Just hold it sideways with the dirt side down and start tapping and checking to see if it moves.  It doesn't alway work, but if done gently, there's no harm in trying.

26 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Had you decided to keep it, you can sometimes tap the side of an eyepiece to dislodge dirt or hair.  Just hold it sideways with the dirt side down and start tapping and checking to see if it moves.  It doesn't alway work, but if done gently, there's no harm in trying.

Tried that, it wasn't going anywhere!

22 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

That's if it was a hair. The radius of the arc could possibly be a fine scratch.

I though the same at first but I'm pretty sure it was a hair, even had the little root ball at the end! I assume it is trapped between two lenses and conformed to the radius of the convex/concave fit where the lenses nest together.

Archived