Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

emadmoussa

What's your dream telescope/equipment?

Personally, I can think of several scopes:

1. 16-inch Schmidt Cassegrain in an obsy. I can think of the Meade LX600 16-inch. Of course, acquiring one will mean selling my family in the slavery market. It's more expensive than my last house deposit. 

meade-16-lx600-acf-f-8-telescope-with-starlock-1_590x590_crop_center.jpg.84e4a6ff7819faf4640e7add18a9e65d.jpg

Realistically, I'd like an Orion Optics (UK) 16-inch dob - large aperture, great mirror, and reasonably low eyepiece level. Something like Moonshane's scope. I love the wooden base you made for the scope, Moonshane. 

Fire away!! 

Edited by emadmoussa
  • Like 4

My ideal would actually be a home in a very dark (think Namibia / Atacama type place) and clear sky location.  While I already own my dream refractor, and have been known to say mirrors are for shaving (?), I would love to have a high quality large Dob from a company like Starmaster or Obsession with a f/3.3 type mirror so I can keep my feet mostly on the ground.  Something like this....

rick30inF33.jpg.dfbada7e385d6e6a454cecc3388bd496.jpg

• Like 7

I used to dream of huge scopes but having seen a few and used one or two, I now realise that there are so many things that would have to go with it, ie: change of house or 2nd home somewhere dark and remote, an observatory etc, etc, that I tend to think about scopes that will work really well in my current circumstances.

For a long, long time Sir Patrick Moore's 5 inch Cooke refractor was a scope that I did dream of. A couple of years ago was able to get something that is at least in a similar mould  (perhaps even a touch better optically) so that has been very pleasing. The 1st pic is Sir PM's Cook refractor, the 2nd my TMB/LZOS 5.1 inch apo :icon_biggrin:

If I did have a dark site I would probably go for a 20 something inch dobsonian, maybe an Obsession or similar ?

pm5inch.jpg

lzos130vix01.JPG

• Like 5

id like a takahashi, I shall not be greedy lets say 120mm, but im quite happy with what ive got but I still dream, if did get one it would be hard to use because I would be drooling all over it it would have to have a drool filter ?. charl.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would be happy living under 6th mag skies, and my scopes would be fairly modest, but cover everything.

I think too much more would be dreaming, this is one goal I can achieve, and will.

80mm Lunt double stacked

Takahashi Mewlon 250

16” Obsession 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emadmoussa said:

I remember your 'bazooka', John. 

Which one ? - this is probably the most "weapon like" that I've owned :icon_biggrin:

istar6f12eq6.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, John said:

Which one ? - this is probably the most "weapon like" that I've owned :icon_biggrin:

istar6f12eq6.jpg

Yep, that's the one. I bet airplanes no longer fly over your house. 

The Questar 3.5... (the nearest I have got to owning one is my 're-modded' Meade ETX105 as per the photo below).

IMG_0385.JPG.5061fa1a4073478117544c4770b199ed.JPG 

• Like 1

I'm happy to say my new Skywatcher 12 inch Go-To Dob is more than I ever dreamed I would be able to own. Due to our awful winter weather I have scarcely had a chance to use it, but my one decent session revealed truly wonderful views of the Moon, Jupiter and Omega Centauri.

• Like 1

For a refractor, a Tele Vue NP127 on Gibraltar 5 mount. 

A C11 or Meade 10 inch on Goto fork mount. 

Orion Optics 16 inch Dobsonian. 

Acre of land with my own observatory in a dark site not too far from home. 

No more eyepieces. Honestly. 

• Like 1

My "latest" dream scope is a Borg 107fl f5.6. Currently working on the bank manager (wife) to enable it to become a reality, unfortunately more work remains to be done.
image.png.4b1ba1fd41aef3d7339e2ca73fbc4b3a.png image.png.69354032624fd3388b302eed902ab397.png

My "Dream equipment" came true :) when I got my hands on my military Night Vision monocular that allows me to see "so much more" through my existing scopes!

image.png.4e8f52b3f9dd97fefe215b39cc90aba5.png

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 1

Good points made about the location being key and easy access to a dark sky making a big difference to the choice.

From my London back garden, where I don’t have a permanent set up, I think my TEC160FL on the Panther TTS-160 is my perfect setup. Gives wonderful views of the planets and luna and with my Night Vision eyepiece allows me to see horsehead, rosette, monkeyhead nicely. Imo 160mm is great size for refractors - once they get bigger than this they become quite challenging to move/mount etc...

However, when at our seaside house on the Isle of Wight with its SQM 21.3 skies, I think I’d like to give the Skyvision T400 16 inch f4 goto dob a try out with the night vision on all nebulae targets...(I think the t400 is the largest skyvision for one person to handle comfortably).

68568A14-1B94-42B6-A670-7DE30C4F54E2.jpeg

6047934D-6641-4B1F-BAD0-4E37DF61779F.jpeg

• Like 4

I would love to have a C14 for planetary imaging, and a 18-20" dob for visual. And of course a 6" frac modded as a tri-band solar scope (H-alpha, Ca-K and Solar Continuum). The latter is the closest to becoming a reality

• Like 1

100 mm double stacked Solarscope, have the 60 mm single stack and I think it gives brilliant views?  As for the 100....... dream on!

Peter

I'd definitely prefer a darker location and an obs than an expensive scope. Hopefully I'll soon have all three (I have a slightly darker location than previously already, will be building an obs after the summer, and have what many people consider to be dream scopes already (16" f4 dob, 120mm Equinox (also used for white light with a Baader wedge) and a 100mm PST mod).

• Like 3

I am very lucky and have mine. A OO ODK 16" on a Paramount MEII in an observatory. However, I would like it and me to be in a prime observing location.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I'd definitely prefer a darker location and an obs than an expensive scope. Hopefully I'll soon have all three (I have a slightly darker location than previously already, will be building an obs after the summer, and have what many people consider to be dream scopes already (16" f4 dob, 120mm Equinox (also used for white light with a Baader wedge) and a 100mm PST mod).

Using the 16" Dob in an obsy? How' that going to work?! 

My VX14 is my dream scope and I still get excited when setting it up. Anything bigger or smaller or different would just compromise one thing for another and tick less of my boxes.

My dream second scope would be a 120mm/f7 or thereabouts apo refractor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, emadmoussa said:

Using the 16" Dob in an obsy? How' that going to work?! 

My garden slopes a bit and Manchester is behind me best sky above the house

obs will be near bottom hedge where green bush is to left looking down

walls will be just high enough ti mask the houses

39E625FF-3079-4529-8687-46DEFC710456.jpeg

6FAE0134-03B4-4CE2-B640-677EA1D401ED.jpeg

5E5A74AD-0CC3-4CBA-A38D-FF96230E90AF.jpeg

5E2AD265-E0E2-41F8-B9FC-B33742CA1A0C.jpeg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

My garden slopes a bit and Manchester is behind me best sky above the house

obs will be near bottom hedge where green bush is to left looking down

walls will be just high enough ti mask the house

Aha, makes sense. 

Tell you what, sell me your 16" and use the money to build an obsy:D :D

• Haha 1

Dark sky, obsy, metre-class RC with FLI Merlin 6060.

First, in progress, second, in planning, third, ah well....