Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
alexbb

AZ-EQ5 RA stripdown

Recently I opened my AZ-EQ5 mount for adjusting and greasing.

I did not find any complete tutorial for this nor worm or bearings dimensions. I plan to replace some of those if I have the chance.

Meanwhile, I will add some pics of the disassembly process.

1. Open the plastic top case. Please excuse the USB hub attached, I did not remove that.
    image.thumb.png.7eebb54eaadfce1554d3fb28f4d777e5.png

2. Pull out the cable connectors. Put the top case with the controller board aside.
    image.thumb.png.b5e77417bf1aa9ca9f904be68d96e44d.png

3. The bolt inside the green circle can help you remembering or adjusting the belt tension. Loosen down the RA motor screws. Remove the belt. Unscrew the bolts. Remove the motor.
    image.thumb.png.cc256744ce46c90144dd2602f875c63e.png

4. The bolts inside the green circles can help you remember and adjust the worm distance to the RA main gear. Remove the bolts holding the worm case.
    image.thumb.png.bb8bd3e5a0b78d9b5355298c305394f6.png

5. Parts: RA main gear, worm case.
    image.thumb.png.61d371febbe0c88deb07eef7b86b3ebc.png

6. Remove the screws holding the encoder board. You get access to the nut holding the worm in place. Remove this too.
    image.thumb.png.5f7f9c5292b13749369ac7a5eb5699a0.png

7. Remove the bolts inside the driving gear attached to the worm. Sorry, not the best pic.
    image.png.c768f2ae1b90f1e12062acc4160b2100.png

8. You can now proceed to push out the worm and the bearings. No pics for this, sorry.
    The bearings are 688Z, 16mm outer diameter, 8mm inner diameter, 5mm width.
    Worm dimensions measured with the caliper: 69mm, 36mm.
    image.thumb.png.089cd9633394bfbaf35ab5573165a546.png

Hope someone finds this useful.

I'd be interested if the worm is identical to the ones used in the HEQ5.

Clear skies!

Alex

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By misterp
      Hi,
      I have damaged the ra gear on my EQ6Pro whist installing a belt mod and I would like to replace it.
      An older message recommends aeroquest-machining.com but the site is dowm.
      Anyone have any other suggestions, a Skywatcher one is a special order item and will take ages.
      Thanks in advance
      Ian
    • By Coastliner
      Hi All,
      I'm trying to balance my AZ-EQ5 as perfectly as I can, all was going well (all 3 axes) until I added the Polemaster. As this is off-axis it applies torque to the RA causing the axis to rotate until the Polemaster is hanging at the lowest point.
      I need to couterbalance this, any ideas how?
      or,
      Do I need to counterbalance this? Am I being too picky?
      I have considered taking the arm off and gluing the Polemaster onto the on-axis point of the top cover, but again, is this overkill?
      Thanks,
      Neil.
    • By knobby
      Just spent 4 hours resurrecting my AVX mount, it had become so stuff in RA it just wouldn't track at all. Googled as much as I could find and used the http://rocketsparrow.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-i-made-better-celestron-avx.html?m=1 as a guide.
      Decided to use a bearing as discussed in thread. I chose the https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p503131/32007-Premier-Budget-Metric-Single-Row-Taper-Roller-Bearing-35x62x18mm/product_info.html?backstep=1 as the dimensions were perfect ( almost perfect, bearing is 2mm too thick but works fine)
      Cleaned all the gungy grease off and used thin layers of superlube.
      It's so much smoother now and I can actually balance the mount.
      Only problems I had were the 2 bolts that hold the RA and Dec assembly together stripped the mount ! Soft cast ally by the looks of it but there are 4 holes for 2 bolts (almost like Skywatcher knew 😂) and refitting the motor worm assembly is tedious to get backlash adjusted .
      Can't wait to try it out.
      Ps the new bearing wouldn't quite fit til I put the mount in the oven @ 80 degrees and the bearing in the freezer for 5 minutes.
    • By Coastliner
      Hi All,
      If I grab hold of the puck on my AZEQ5 I can make it rock back and forth by a degree or so (DEC axis), there appears to be no play in the RA axis. Does anyone else have this? Can it be adjusted out?
      Thanks,
      Neil.
    • By JimB
      Hello.
      I am considering getting a QHY Polemaster for my AZ-EQ5 mount. Has any one used this combination and did it work well? Also I have heard that the Polemaster can wash out if light pollution is present, how much of a problem is this? The light pollution is not bad but I have to look over the house to see Polaris and I wonder could overspillfrom it wash out the Polemaster. I would suppose this to in part depend on how wide the Polemasters' field of view is. Any observations and advice would be welcome.
      Jim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.