Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The essence of summer observing

Like many of you, I've been enjoying a lot of scope time over the past few weeks. Although the hours of darkness are short, the mild conditions just make for some really enjoyable observing time. I've been doing a lot of planetary observing and have had some of my best ever views of Jupiter and Saturn when the seeing has been good. A 10" dob is a cracking planetary scope! I almost feel at an advantage through not ever having seen the planets higher in the sky. I can't make those comparisons to better views yet. Mars continues to be a enjoyable target despite the dust storm.

The light nights have not stopped my deep sky observing either. Last week I got my first view of the Crescent nebula in Cygnus and have been regularly visiting the Veil and North American Nebula. The Pacman nebula is also visible at home with an OIII filter. There's lots of great planetary nebs too. M57, M27, M76, M97 and the Blue Snowball to name but a few. Cassiopeia is full of great open clusters with Caroline's Rose being a favourite plus NGC457, of course. The double cluster is another crowd pleaser. I like to spot the cluster with more red stars which is thought to be the older of the two. Mustn't forget M11, the Wild Ducks. The trio of galaxies, M31, M32 and M110 made for some nice viewing from my garden last week. As for double stars, the double double. Izar and the triple system that includes HR8281 have been my personal highlights so far.

Sagittarius on it's own could keep me happy all summer. The Lagoon, M8 is probably my favourite target. I enjoy it most with a UHC filter. I've spent quite a bit of time on the Trifid too. From darker skies, I can see a lot of nebulosity with a UHC or H-Beta filter but haven't managed to pick out the dark lanes yet. I think this is down to my own experience level. I also highly recommend M16 and M17, the Swan and Eagle nebulas. M22 is a great target for fans of globs. 

The point of this post, is really just to say don't let your scope sit gathering dust over the summer, there's an absolute treasure trove of great objects to see and you can comfortably sit and observe them wearing your pyjamas if you want to! 

Great post Neil. Absolutely, I’ve never understood those who pack their kit away over the summer! Get out there :)

Some of my favourite targets listed there, have enjoyed them many times at home and abroad but less often in a larger scope. I need to fix that!

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

The point of this post, is really just to say don't let your scope sit gathering dust over the summer, there's an absolute treasure trove of great objects to see and you can comfortably sit and observe them wearing your pyjamas if you want to! 

Quite right, Neil.  Waiting a bit longer is well worth it - fairly dark skies, light clothing, lots to see.  (I've just ordered a shed to accommodate all the gear, which will make my sessions even more enjoyable!)

Doug.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Yes- the pleasure of being outside and comfortable in a pair of shorts and a light shirt and gazing up at the heavens is a rare joy. But can't turn up to work exhausted all the time! ?

I just blame my tiredness on being overworked ;) 

Archived