SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter with GRS over South Germany on 2018-07-08 (+ Animation)

Archonom

While the sky was still blue, I took my chances on Jupiter. Turns out the first image stack produced at 22:00 PM was the best one. Long before it was dark, the conditions were exceptional: Good seeing, good transparency, low humidity. After the sky turned black and the stars showed up, the conditions unfortunately changed to the worse. I also did some recordings on Saturn and Mars, but I wasn't able to see the cassini division on the rings or more than bright reflections on Mars...

That's why I am even more happy with my Jupiter images. I would like to show you the first stack of the evening, with a "normal" version, an oversharpened version (showing more details) and an attempt on using drizzle x 1.5 (far too oversampled, if you ask me).

I hope you like them!

Jupiter_2018-07-08.png.23478fa83dc92d31bf68df085cabfb49.png

Jupiter_2018-07-08_oversharpened.png.a86db83bfbfeee28e0e8da1b6ed8659d.png

Jupiter_2018-07-08_Drizzle15.png.bf1083722e0ff9b5f6cde709c1e7f182.png

And here is my attempt of creating a little animation of Jupiter's rotation. I used 3 stacks, recorded between 22:00 and 22:07, so only 3 frames are part of this little GIF:

Jupiter_2018-07-08_Animation.gif.1e0ef29deacdf8b3e295ae406d10bf67.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are my Saturn and Mars pictures:

Mars_235357_g4_ap9.png.2d5ea5cefeb97ee11c5f21d99be71fc8.pngSat_234349_lapl4_ap13.png.c1fc172a1e878aa99ba722466c11391b.png

28 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

just learing how to use firecapture and my new asi290mc with an also new skymax 90. heres my best so far. only been out 2 nights and clueless with firecapture. 

Jup_8-7-18.jpg

Doesn't look like you're all that clueless to me... 

Blind luck if it's anything like reasonable. Also I don't really know what kinda image I should be expecting from a little scope, I think the camera is a half decent one. Wasn't planning on getting a camera at all but PayPal interest free credit is too tempting. Here's one from my first night, that was my second night I showed before

download_20180709_154019.jpg

6 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

just learing how to use firecapture and my new asi290mc with an also new skymax 90. heres my best so far. only been out 2 nights and clueless with firecapture. 

Jup_8-7-18.jpg

Hey, actually a great picture!

You captured at least one moon, maybe two. Well done!

Regarding Firecapture, it is very simple, really. I think you are doing fine. Maybe try to collect more frames and check if shutter is rather low than too high.

2 minutes ago, Archonom said:

Hey, actually a great picture!

You captured at least one moon, maybe two. Well done!

Regarding Firecapture, it is very simple, really. I think you are doing fine. Maybe try to collect more frames and check if shutter is rather low than too high.

clear skies again tonight so i'll give it another go. how many frames should i aim for before rotation is a problem? should i be capturing with bayer off? is it worth cropping for capture?

Well I've not really been doing this long enough to give any advice, but I've been setting my ROI  to as small as possible to guarantee a faster frame rate. That give you a chance of capturing more good / lucky frames. 

I think sharp capture / fire capture will record the image as raw anyway, so debayering is only done for preview purposes. So I don't think turning it off will make any difference. But there's no harm in trying, it might take some load off the processor. 

12 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

clear skies again tonight so i'll give it another go. how many frames should i aim for before rotation is a problem? should i be capturing with bayer off? is it worth cropping for capture?

Normally, I tend to record 90s. Cropping the picture is a very good idea, with my 8 inch Newton and with a 3x Barlow I usually go for 200x200. Shutter is at 3.05 ms most times, so when recording for 90s, I achieve something around 20 000 frames. I think 10 000 frames should be more than enough, at least for my setup I don't see much difference if a stack has 10 or 20 000 frames. I leave debayer on, but maybe that's wrong, so don't listen to me here... Good luck!

Archived