Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing goal for life

Like others I try not to put any pressure on, with family and work life as it is I count myself lucky that I still get to observe at all.

I try to get out as often as I can, but tend to focus on planetary, solar or lunar observing given my location. I did a little DSO viewing the other night and was pleasantly surprised with the views of M57, M27 and M13 even in just the 4”.

My observing luxury each year is normally a camping trip to the south coast with my older children. I’ve been going since the youngest one was about 18 months old, she is now 14 and we are off again on Sunday. These are the times I get to see the Southern Treasures at their best (for me) and I enjoy in particular M8, 20, 16 and 17, plus the Veil and NAN amongst many others. I tend to record my sessions on SGL and do go back and refer to them. Any planning done is on SkySafari which does everything I could ever want, and more!

Ambitions? To properly see the Magellanic Clouds, plus 47 Tucanae and Omega Centauri, that would be pretty amazing I think.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/07/2018 at 14:07, Rob said:

Agnes Just Google Hale Bopp.. it was stunning! :)

It seems that whenever a Great Comet comes along, I am struck by an overwhelming wave of astro-apathy.

Archived