Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small refractor on parallelogram mount - anybody tried it?

While enjoying first light with a lightweight 76mm refractor, mounted on a simple alt-az setup (Tecnosky Cubo), it struck me that given my advancing years and dodgy back, a parallelogram mount might well be worth a try.  I.e. My head could remain at a relatively constant height above ground level - whether seated or standing - but the scope could be pushed up and down depending on the target's altitude.

I have low-power wide-field sweeping more in mind than high-mag planetary stuff, but I'm curious to know if anyone's tried it, and what benefits or pitfalls they encountered.  Is there too much shake and wobble to make this approach practical, or is there a glorious sense of freedom in being able to wave your scope around the sky like half a binocular?

Any feedback welcomed.

Cheers all

Simon

6 hours ago, Chinapig said:

While enjoying first light with a lightweight 76mm refractor, mounted on a simple alt-az setup (Tecnosky Cubo), it struck me that given my advancing years and dodgy back, a parallelogram mount might well be worth a try.  I.e. My head could remain at a relatively constant height above ground level - whether seated or standing - but the scope could be pushed up and down depending on the target's altitude.

I have low-power wide-field sweeping more in mind than high-mag planetary stuff, but I'm curious to know if anyone's tried it, and what benefits or pitfalls they encountered.  Is there too much shake and wobble to make this approach practical, or is there a glorious sense of freedom in being able to wave your scope around the sky like half a binocular?

Any feedback welcomed.

Cheers all

Simon

I have one of the Astro Systems Parallelogram Mounts sourced from Valentin in Ukraine... I bought it to use my 25x100s.

But out of curiosity, having read a thread on CN about a man using a P Mount with his refractor, I gave it a whirl. If the Scope isn't too heavy it works exceptionally well...

I tried with a diagonal and straight through. Both ways worked well. Although my mount is supposedly rated to about 7kg, I wouldn't want to go any more than about 4kg as "settling time" (no matter how well the system is counterbalanced) gets irritatingly long above about 60% of the mount's rating...

I did it as a "one off" and far prefer my Alt / Az mounts. But if I was in the circumstances you describe it could be a very workable long term option... :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

I have one of the Astro Systems Parallelogram Mounts sourced from Valentin in Ukraine... I bought it to use my 25x100s.

But out of curiosity, having read a thread on CN about a man using a P Mount with his refractor, I gave it a whirl. If the Scope isn't too heavy it works exceptionally well...

I tried with a diagonal and straight through. Both ways worked well. Although my mount is supposedly rated to about 7kg, I wouldn't want to go any more than about 4kg as "settling time" (no matter how well the system is counterbalanced) gets irritatingly long above about 60% of the mount's rating...

I did it as a "one off" and far prefer my Alt / Az mounts. But if I was in the circumstances you describe it could be a very workable long term option... :thumbsup:

Yes, using it at full stretch, even with big binos takes a few seconds to settle. Depends how it's used, I tend to still hold with 1 hand at least. Spotting scopes are fine.  

Guest chaz2b

Well that’s not a real problem with a Paralleogram,you can let go once transited to what you wish to view. I have an Orion Paralleogram and only just handles a 100x25 bino,my Orion ED80 is ok on it provided it’s not windy as it does then shake about if don’t put a hand to it, otherwise it’s handy for me just to lie down and gaze with it,bino  or scope. Just might try it with my Orion 80 rich field short tube,hopefully less scope to blow about.

chaz

On 09/07/2018 at 01:07, 25585 said:

With the appropriate counter balance weight my Astro Systems Ukraine-made p-mount can take a ST80 or my 80mm SW Equinox.

If it handles a Heritage 130mm, that would be excellent!

That's good to know - many thanks!  My Equinox 80 is the heaviest scope I'd like to try, but fortunately the new 76mm is quite a but lighter.   Hmmm...  a Heritage 130mm?  Quite an idea!

On 09/07/2018 at 05:19, Demonperformer said:

Intriguing idea ... let us know how you find it in practice.

Will do!  I'm a little way off from pulling the trigger on a suitable mount, but have planning to go the Ukrainian route for a while.  Decision getting closer...

On 09/07/2018 at 07:45, Stargazer McCabe said:

Many thanks for the info.  Will try to track down that CN thread.

Yes, being able to use the scope in straight-through mode certainly appeals, particularly at some angles.  My scope, with finder and typical eyepiece, weighs approx 50% of that mount's quoted limit, so I'm hopeful.  Glad to hear the set-up worked well for you!

On 09/07/2018 at 23:34, chaz2b said:

Well that’s not a real problem with a Paralleogram,you can let go once transited to what you wish to view. I have an Orion Paralleogram and only just handles a 100x25 bino,my Orion ED80 is ok on it provided it’s not windy as it does then shake about if don’t put a hand to it, otherwise it’s handy for me just to lie down and gaze with it,bino  or scope. Just might try it with my Orion 80 rich field short tube,hopefully less scope to blow about.

chaz

Cheers for the feedback - it's the lying down and gazing bit that makes my back and neck say "Yeah, go on, try a parallelogram!"  If your Orion ED80 is reasonably well behaved, I should be ok.  Many thanks.

Archived