Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tele Vue NP101 no longer produced?! ?

I noticed  Widescreen Centre no longer lists the Tele Vue NP101 for sale, neither the plain or IS version. 

Telescope House only have a TV60. FLO an 85. There are 76s around.

TV site has the IS only, but still there on its own.

So what is happening? For visual, is the 85 now prince-become-king? NP101 is more image than visual budget at over £4K, though peanuts compared to the 127.

Is the 101 being phased out gradually? Will others follow?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 25585 said:

Irreplaceable. The Tak FC has taken over mainly!  

Seems crazy this treatment of scopes as investments or things not to be used.

The Genesis is quite different to the Tak, lovely flat widefield views. Very little point in hiding it away, what does that achieve?

Mine are hidden away for completely different reasons... certainly not from fear of using them! I’ve considered hiding my kids away instead and playing with my telescopes, but my wife says that might border on abuse. I’ve explained that I wouldnt even consider doing it without punching several air-holes in their cases, but she’s still not keen on it?! ?

5 minutes ago, Cleetus said:

Funnily enough the guy who kicked off the Cloudynights thread and said he should hurry and buy an NP 101, never did. He bought an FC100 DF instead!!

Seems he wasn’t so heartbroken about them being discontinued after all....

Makes sense... half the field of view for half the price ?

*for the sake of accuracy, after having been corrected, I’d like to state that the FC100 DF actually has the ability to obtain 73.469% of the true field of view of a Televue Genesis. Lack of knowledge and/or personality should not be taken into account in this disclaimer.

12 minutes ago, Joves said:

Do you ever miss your Genesis, Stu?

Yes I do Aaron. If money were no object I would probably have another, even though in some ways it is a one trick pony, best at low power and that flat field is wonderful for sharp, focused stars across the field.

The FC100DC does replace a number of scopes it is true, but it is just a little too slow to comfortably get to 3.5 or 4 degrees. My old Astrotech 106 f6.5 triplet could do it, and the Genesis of course at only 500mm focal length was amazing in that respect.

An APM 105mm LZOS f6.2 is another option of course, just a ‘little’ more pricey and not as fast; even then I don’t know if it suffers from field curvature at all.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes I do Aaron. If money were no object I would probably have another, even though in some ways it is a one trick pony, best at low power and that flat field is wonderful for sharp, focused stars across the field.

The FC100DC does replace a number of scopes it is true, but it is just a little too slow to comfortably get to 3.5 or 4 degrees. My old Astrotech 106 f6.5 triplet could do it, and the Genesis of course at only 500mm focal length was amazing in that respect.

An APM 105mm LZOS f6.2 is another option of course, just a ‘little’ more pricey and not as fast; even then I don’t know if it suffers from field curvature at all.

Good reply, thanks Stu. If money were no object, I imagine the Genesis/NP101 would sit in a lot of people’s “collections”, even if for only an occasional peek through. Even though I’ve not really used any scope for awhile (barring the Skywatcher Mak127 purely because it was new and is cute and easy to drag into the yard), my Genesis was once upon a time getting quite a bit of use. Can’t recall exactly what I paid for it, but do seem to remember it being a steal, even though imported from the USA (which adds plenty to the overall cost).

I guess the good thing about these scopes is that there seem to be quite a few of them out there, so I wouldn’t think it would be a great life challenge acquiring another if the mood ever struck you.

30 minutes ago, Joves said:

The max true field of FC-100DF with a 2” EP is 3.6 degrees, quite a bit more than half of NP101...

Thanks Aki, hence the sunglasses emoticon at the end of the post intending to confirm that it was said in jest. I see you actually have an FC-100DF, which I expected after reading your reply. Well done, a lovely telescope by all accounts I have read.

14 minutes ago, Axunator said:

The max true field of FC-100DF with a 2” EP is 3.6 degrees, quite a bit more than half of NP101...

I think 25585 has a DL which is f9, so narrower fov

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Seems crazy this treatment of scopes as investments or things not to be used.

The Genesis is quite different to the Tak, lovely flat widefield views. Very little point in hiding it away, what does that achieve?

Had it and used it for 30 years, my most used telescope! The Genesis has particular emotional value, one reason I treasure it so much.  

1 hour ago, Joves said:

Good reply, thanks Stu. If money were no object, I imagine the Genesis/NP101 would sit in a lot of people’s “collections”, even if for only an occasional peek through. Even though I’ve not really used any scope for awhile (barring the Skywatcher Mak127 purely because it was new and is cute and easy to drag into the yard), my Genesis was once upon a time getting quite a bit of use. Can’t recall exactly what I paid for it, but do seem to remember it being a steal, even though imported from the USA (which adds plenty to the overall cost).

I guess the good thing about these scopes is that there seem to be quite a few of them out there, so I wouldn’t think it would be a great life challenge acquiring another if the mood ever struck you.

There is a TV Renaissance on UK ABS but no photos and £0 so no indication if it's been sold already.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I think 25585 has a DL which is f9, so narrower fov

Correct, but I use longer FL eyepieces to get longer eye relief, so it evens out. Even in its mounting hardware, the DL is lighter than the Genesis OTA when wearing nothing but it's clamshell ring.

I do need a separate finder with the Tak, whereas Genesis with 55mm Plossl is its own at just 9x.

12 hours ago, 25585 said:

? 

My Genesis now becomes a decoration or from-indoors spotting scope. 

That's just daft, I had a Tal 125r and took it out and used it, harder to replace than a Genesis

3 hours ago, Joves said:

You might need a new calculator. 3.6 degrees is not half of 4.9.

I see others have already corrected you. Should have checked before responding.

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

Had it and used it for 30 years, my most used telescope! The Genesis has particular emotional value, one reason I treasure it so much.  

Then I humbly suggest you carry on doing just that. Nothing has changed.

The Genesis is even faster than the NP101 so one is not a direct replacement for the other anyway.

3 hours ago, Cleetus said:

You might need a new calculator. 3.6 degrees is not half of 4.9.

I see others have already corrected you. Should have checked before responding.

I’d suggest you consider the tone of the post before bothering with your calculator or checking to see whether subsequent posts have “corrected me” or not.

Archived