Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Video in Ha 8_7_18

Chris

44 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

another great Vid Chris, the proms look very nice id be tempted to stax that vid, the detail is very good. thanks, charl.

Thanks charl, Ok yeah I'll give it another go. Whats the software for stacking you suggested the other day and I had meant to down load :grin:. Registax and PIPP won't stack my non tracked images, just a blurry mess ?

Pipp should sort it mate but ive never processed a untracked vid, what Pipp dos is sorts all the good frames and alines them ready for staxing so aslong as theres a image in the frame it should do the same as a tracked vid I save as a ser vid file before putting it through registax . for staxing you could use registax or autostaxer 2 or 3, I use regi for proms and autostakker 2 for suface detail. charl.

1 hour ago, xtreemchaos said:

Pipp should sort it mate but ive never processed a untracked vid, what Pipp dos is sorts all the good frames and alines them ready for staxing so aslong as theres a image in the frame it should do the same as a tracked vid I save as a ser vid file before putting it through registax . for staxing you could use registax or autostaxer 2 or 3, I use regi for proms and autostakker 2 for suface detail. charl.

Valuable advice, cheers charl :) 

I'll give it another go!

44 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

your welcome Chris im happy to help in anyway I can, ive been thinking who staxs untracked images and john foster has done some I believe, he might be the one who could give you better advice than me . charl.

Thanks charl, still no luck. I'm pretty sure it's because the Sun is moving quickly through a FOV which isn't even quite big enough for the full disc. I guess it's not that surprising it cannot keep track and stack. 

I think I'll get round it by picking up yet another small EQ mount/mount head. I keep selling them, then I keep buying them :rolleyes2: 

6 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I think I'll get round it by picking up yet another small EQ mount/mount head. I keep selling them, then I keep buying them

Hi Chris, I've used the SW Star Adventurer with the LS60 so shouldn't have any trouble with the Lunt 35.

They pop up regularly on the used market

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 09/07/2018 at 14:55, Lockie said:

Thanks charl, Ok yeah I'll give it another go. Whats the software for stacking you suggested the other day and I had meant to down load :grin:. Registax and PIPP won't stack my non tracked images, just a blurry mess ?

Sorry I've only just seen this, I've barely looked in Solar this summer! Charl's right that I've stacked untracked vids Chris. What will probably help is doing 2 runs through Pipp. One to stretch, then one to align.

It'll probably only work on the prom exposure due to lack of much contrasting detail on the surface detail end, but it's worth a go anyway.

So first you run it through selecting stretch white point and stretch black point. White wants to be about 75%, black defaults to zero.

Then run the output of that through with lunar/solar close up checked to align, moving the alignment area box over a suitably contrasty detail to give it something to 'track'

I think that makes sense.

Here you go, it's definitely doable. I downloaded the video from YT and had a play.

A quick run through Pipp to stretch the black and white point, then another run to align.

The proms were easier than the surface detail but there's the very faintest of hints of a filament lower left and I got it almost aligned on that. The surface stack was a little blurry as the alignment wasn't perfect but a quick trick with a duplicate layer (lighten mode) and the offset filter in Photoshop to take away some of that blur gave me back some detail.

The proms were a doddle, almost perfect alignment, and then standard blending the layers to put it all together.

Could do better with more fettling I'm sure :)

1006480195_ChrisLocksSolarHa.png.29e00625a069a8922efe5e4e42d1f55d.png

Archived