SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light scatter

Without any additional information I'm not sure we can read too much into that comparison. How were the images created? Why do they all show the same grid pattern? If it was scatter you would expect blurring of each point but it looks a lot like the same thing magnified different amounts by different barlows. 

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Richard, what is a Baader 1.8x Recenter?

Do you have particular aims for your kit collection? What are you trying to achieve?

It is a glass path corrector https://www.astroshop.eu/optical-accessories/baader-2-1-8x-glasspath-corrector-front-side-with-2-filter-thread-/p,10824?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=10824&utm_campaign=1807&utm_source=froogle&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IbaBRBqEiwA6AyZgm-A-l75HoMq78YcuSOa6D4I1QplMKFLhM_q6UbVU46DKvz8ZoRn6BoCrgAQAvD_BwE&utm_content= but seems dedicated to Baader bino viewers.

I have a Nikon 17.5mm NAV SW, hence my curiosity about the EiC. Good lightweight travel combo prime and (almost) 11mm with EiC. The latter might work with my TS bino viewer as a GPC as well.

5 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Without any additional information I'm not sure we can read too much into that comparison. How were the images created? Why do they all show the same grid pattern? If it was scatter you would expect blurring of each point but it looks a lot like the same thing magnified different amounts by different barlows. 

It is, by 11 different Barlows showing the scatter each one has I presume.

6 hours ago, 25585 said:

It is a glass path corrector https://www.astroshop.eu/optical-accessories/baader-2-1-8x-glasspath-corrector-front-side-with-2-filter-thread-/p,10824?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=10824&utm_campaign=1807&utm_source=froogle&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IbaBRBqEiwA6AyZgm-A-l75HoMq78YcuSOa6D4I1QplMKFLhM_q6UbVU46DKvz8ZoRn6BoCrgAQAvD_BwE&utm_content= but seems dedicated to Baader bino viewers.

I have a Nikon 17.5mm NAV SW, hence my curiosity about the EiC. Good lightweight travel combo prime and (almost) 11mm with EiC. The latter might work with my TS bino viewer as a GPC as well.

How does it differ from the Baader x1.8 also shown?

Have you looked through your kit? What do you think of it?

4 hours ago, Stu said:

How does it differ from the Baader x1.8 also shown?

Have you looked through your kit? What do you think of it?

Less scatter (and from the Nikon) going by the illustrations. But I was only thinking about the Eic. 

The extender on my Tak DL works with bino viewers, and my SCT does not need any GP optic. Equinoxes 66 and 80 do. All my 1.25 Barlows are 2x or more, a smaller magnification one would be welcome. 

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

Less scatter (and from the Nikon)

I may be missing the point (or in fact may be stating the blinindgly obvious), but it seems like the Baader x1.8 recenter is just a corrected ie realigned Baader x1.8. You can’t buy a x1.8 recenter.....

The AP Barcon (which I have) comes out well which backs up my experience looking through one regularly.

There is more to it than just magnification, the GPCs correct for some of the abberation introduced by binoviewers so a x1.25 GPC can be worth using.

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

I may be missing the point (or in fact may be stating the blinindgly obvious), but it seems like the Baader x1.8 recenter is just a corrected ie realigned Baader x1.8. You can’t buy a x1.8 recenter.....

The AP Barcon (which I have) comes out well which backs up my experience looking through one regularly.

There is more to it than just magnification, the GPCs correct for some of the abberation introduced by binoviewers so a x1.25 GPC can be worth using.

My Zeiss Abbe Barlow and ES extender are both good at that. Not tried the BV on my DL without the latter's extender (which is only that, not a Barlow).

I would expect an AP Baron to do well ☺ 

Just now, 25585 said:

Not tried the BV on my DL

Well worth a go. I almost exclusively Binoview at high powers for planets and lunar these days. Give it a go and let us know how you get on. 

It's well worth having a look at the full CN thread that the images posted at the start of this thread came from. It shows the method and equipment used, the results for a number of eyepieces as well as the barlows and some useful discussion of the results. I don't think it's a clear cut situation myself. Some of the eyepiece results are quite surprising and may be different to what might be expected or even what observers have experienced in the field ?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/485759-laser-scatter-test/

So, interesting, but not necessarily conclusive perhaps ?

20 hours ago, John said:

It's well worth having a look at the full CN thread that the images posted at the start of this thread came from. It shows the method and equipment used, the results for a number of eyepieces as well as the barlows and some useful discussion of the results. I don't think it's a clear cut situation myself. Some of the eyepiece results are quite surprising and may be different to what might be expected or even what observers have experienced in the field ?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/485759-laser-scatter-test/

So, interesting, but not necessarily conclusive perhaps ?

It's like bench tests v reality use. Same with hi fi, TVs etc. The atmosphere and weather are the biggest light scatterers of all. In a perfect environment, no man made creation would be perfect. 

I can see how observatory choices of optics might be interested in the scatter results though.  

1 hour ago, 25585 said:

It's like bench tests v reality use. Same with hi fi, TVs etc. The atmosphere and weather are the biggest light scatterers of all. In a perfect environment, no man made creation would be perfect. 

I can see how observatory choices of optics might be interested in the scatter results though.  

I think I remain more interested by what happens when I look through things :)

Interesting CN article - to a point. If you have the pristine, dry and stable desert skies that many CN members seem to enjoy, fair enough. But here in the UK we rarely get anything approaching that - so I tend not to read those "micro analysing" reviews and concentrate on what the Jetstream deems fit for us to look at!?

Dave

Archived