SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Altair Astro 125 EDF

Cjg

Had two nights with this scope now; defeated by clouds on night 1 and dew on night 2, but in short, it’s a keeper and I’m well pleased.

I didn’t have a lot of time between returning home amidst the carnage on the M11 and dashing to Seething, so no unboxing photos, but the scope came well padded and double boxed. No foam / aluminium case is included. 

The first night I was joined by an experienced astronomer whose GOTO Mount we used to test. Initial views were of Venus and Jupiter. Jupiter gave delightful views,  despite being lower on the Southern horizon. 

Probably my best view of Epsilon Lyrae that I can remember in a frac. We then moved to Delta Cygni: this proved a tougher test for my eyes, but could just discern the binary at about 9 o’clock. By then, 11:30pm ‘ish we were joined by some new members who asked to see Saturn, so duly obliged. By now, it was hazy and I could not see the Cassini division. 

Night 2

A much clearer night,  despite the brighter skies to the North, I easily found and saw M81/M82, NGC 1502 and NGC 7789. Tried to find C/2017 Panstarrs, but failed.

Southwards, the Lagoon with an 0111 filter looked breautiful, as did the Swan, Eagle and Triffid. The usual suspects in Cygnus were great, (M27, M57) but blown away by @Littleguy80 ‘s view in his 10” of the Veil Nebula through a 100 degree eyepiece. 

After midnight, the scope was quite damp to touch, but the front lens was only slightly misty: the dew shield is excellent.

Reasonably sure that I could see many individual stars in M13, though was quite damp and using a tall ‘frac straight up requires some contortions at eyepiece height which was just a few inches off the deck.

The scope and Sabre Mount require more set up and take down time; it’s size is probably as big as I’d want to carry to and from the observing pads in the dark.  The rotatable focusser is massive and has a funky adaptor to hold the diagonal, which I’ve not quite got used to.

The stars are so far as I can tell as ‘pinpoint’ as they are in my Tak, but given the massive increase in light grasp, I should now be starting to look for fainter objects this Autumn, skies permitting. 

(Btw, any edits will be to correct typos, the new iOS on my iPad is a mare for autocorrect!)

Chris

10B532AF-F393-4423-B9F7-EE3EF68FBA37.jpeg

Not heard much about these scopes so it is nice to read about one finally. Very interesting spec and one I would like to have a look through at some stage. Would certainly sit on my Ercole very comfortably I should think, similar spec to your Sabre I guess.

It should perform great. I have a Celestron Omni 120mm f8.3 ‘frac and I get great views with lots of contrast with that scope, and it’s not an ED scope, so this should be even better. Got a great split of the the double double two nights ago with my ‘frac, so this should be excellent for doubles, along with plenty of other things too! :) 

@Stu not seen an ercole, but if similar spec to a Sabre, then yes. Like the simplicity of just push / pulling the scope around...not so great at high mag when the planets whizz through the eyepiece though. But very pleased with the views. 

If ever you find yourself in Norfolk ....and if I can fit in my tent and the rest of the camping kit, it will be in Cwmdu in September.

Thank you, I’ve been told that the scope “needs” 2 inch eyepieces to do it justice....I feel another universe of expense has suddenly opened up. Not going to happen though as my Astro budget has long been spent this decade!

12 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Thank you, I’ve been told that the scope “needs” 2 inch eyepieces to do it justice....I feel another universe of expense has suddenly opened up. Not going to happen though as my Astro budget has long been spent this decade!

You can try my APM’s next time we’re at Seething. They’re very reasonably priced ;) 

18 minutes ago, Cjg said:

To be honest you really only need one 2” eyepiece, normally a widefield one 25mm or higher to get nice widefield view with it. Your normal 1.25” EP’s for the rest of the views will work just fine, especially for higher magnification work. I have two 2” EP’s, both of 25mm and 30mm respectively, but in reality just one of these would suit really. 

Great review of an interesting scope Chris :thumbright:

I find that an Ercole and the Skytee II both handle my TMB/LZOS 130 F/9.2 tripely quite well. I guess your Altair 125 is a little shorter and lighter.

For what it's worth, I hardly ever use 2" eyepieces with any of my refractors except the Vixen ED102 F/6.5.

Thank you.  The ED125 should weigh less than your TMB/LZOS 130, but the Sabre mount is really very good.  Thought long and hard, was close to placing an order for another Tak, but pleased with this so far.  Let’s hope we get decent skies this Autumn and Winter.

Am on the wait list for the next Astro Physics 90mm, but I don’t see that happening for me.

With the hassles getting optics from LZOS, you’ve made a shrewd ‘investment’ with your 130.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/08/2018 at 13:23, Dave1 said:

Only just found this thread, great review. I have been waiting for a review of one of these for quite some time. 

Looks like you've got a keeper. :)

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes after another night under the skies, am well pleased. Was two weeks ago; clouded out by midnight, but a good view of comet 21P/ Giacobini - Zinner along with the usual suspects including NGC 6543.  It’s going to take a few sessions so that I’m as ‘fluent’ at setting it up as I am my Tak, but well worth the extra effort.

Chris

6C75B94A-5DBF-4C42-92EA-43F636F05385.jpeg

Archived