Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
barkis

July Lunar Eclipse

July 27th. will herald a Blood Red total lunar eclipse. Unfortunately it will be underway below the eastern horizon on that morning, and not easily observable due it's low declination.

• Thanks 1

I must admit even though I won't see it fuel to being at work, I'd love to know what a blood moon looks like through that much atmosphere. It looks orange enough when it's very low so add a blood moon into the mix should result in a spectacular sight.

Love seeing total lunar eclipses. Very surreal seeing a red moon. 

• Like 1

Well Geordie, it's expected to be a Blood Red, and since that phenomena is largely due to sunlight refracted onto the  Moon through earth's atmosphere,
the forecast may well be correct, mainly because of the moons low declination at totality. The atmosphere will much denser as a result of that, and since
there is much muck for the sunlight to penetrate, the effect will be enhanced, theoretically anyway.. Volcanic dust is usually present in our atmosphere, there has been 
much volcanic activity on earth this year, so the colour forecast could well be right.
Here is a screen grab of the approximate time of totality, but it might be off a little. I used a white sky to make it clearer, a normal image would make the moon invisible.
The date/time is  July 27th  21:29.

Hale Bopp.jpg

Posted (edited)

Yes indeed Paul.  Really good view in a suitable telescope 😀  Or even binoculars.  I've seen several by now.

Edited by Gina

Would be nice to see it with my little wide field bins. I've good clear view of Eastern horizon but if its below it... 

Posted (edited)

Will it be visible above the Eastern horizon at an stage?. It would be nice to catch a glimpse. The last total Lunar eclipse i saw was back in Sept 2015 (i think). Best id ever seen.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Looks like it will still be light at moonrise.  Oh well, the last one was good...

On 12/07/2018 at 09:44, Gina said:

Looks like it will still be light at moonrise.  Oh well, the last one was good...

It was. Best ive seen.

Totality ends at 10.13 in London, with the moon at 9 degrees above the horizon. It won’t be a corker, but hopefully will be observeable.