SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

July Lunar Eclipse

barkis

July 27th. will herald a Blood Red total lunar eclipse. Unfortunately it will be underway below the eastern horizon on that morning, and not easily observable due it's low declination.

I must admit even though I won't see it fuel to being at work, I'd love to know what a blood moon looks like through that much atmosphere. It looks orange enough when it's very low so add a blood moon into the mix should result in a spectacular sight.

Well Geordie, it's expected to be a Blood Red, and since that phenomena is largely due to sunlight refracted onto the  Moon through earth's atmosphere,
the forecast may well be correct, mainly because of the moons low declination at totality. The atmosphere will much denser as a result of that, and since
there is much muck for the sunlight to penetrate, the effect will be enhanced, theoretically anyway.. Volcanic dust is usually present in our atmosphere, there has been 
much volcanic activity on earth this year, so the colour forecast could well be right.
Here is a screen grab of the approximate time of totality, but it might be off a little. I used a white sky to make it clearer, a normal image would make the moon invisible.
The date/time is  July 27th  21:29.

Hale Bopp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 07:06, Stu said:

Totality ends at 10.13 in London, with the moon at 9 degrees above the horizon. It won’t be a corker, but hopefully will be observeable. 

No chance of seeing it up in Edinburgh then?

6 minutes ago, blinky said:

No chance of seeing it up in Edinburgh then?

Pretty tough I would say, but still doable. It rises at 9.22pm and is only 4.5 degrees above the horizon by the time the full eclipse ends, but gets up to around 9 or so before the penumbral phase ends. Certainly worth looking if the sky is clear, but you will need a good low horizon.

I have only seen this once and was very young. I went into the garden and took a look. Couldn't see the moon and went back indoors. My dad asked me if I had seen it and said 'no, but I did see Mars!' (which of course was the moon looking that strange red brown colour. ?

Archived