Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

David Lukehurst

nightfisher

I met Patric  Moore just after he gave a talk about future Mars missions at the Victoria theatre in Halifax,

don’t think it went to well for him, the lights were shining in his eyes and someone kept butting in about the existence of dark matter,

he was very grumpy.

Pete Lawrence, a few yrs back at a star party. He was giving a talk about the northern lights. I was introduced to him by a guy from astronomy Ireland. I told him we've talked before on SGL. He knew me when I told him my nick here. 

Patrick Moore, Alexei Leonov (first man to space walk), Prof Stephen Hawking (only got to say hello in a big group who all wanted to have a chat!), I was on an eclipse tour with Pete Lawrence and Paul Abell (and John Culshaw)  Bob Cenker (a Space Shuttle crew member). Helen Sharman (standing in a queue to see Alexei Leonov and prof Hawking). Science historian Alan Chapman. 

I saw David Levy do a talk but never got to meet him. That was a real shame.

Too many to list but some notables are Sir PM, Francis Graham Smith (Astronomer Royal), David Malin (Anglo Australian Telescope), David Lukehurst, David Sinden, Jim Hysom (in fact everybody who was anybody in the UK astro optical business), Rob Miller, John Dobson, Heather Couper, Nigel Henbest. Current wife   ?

I had a drink at my local pub with Sir Patrick in 1982, I wasn't old enough to drink unfortunately! He had given a talk to our local club (Clacton and District Astro Assoc) and was happy enough to entertain us afterwards (paid for by the club of course). He also came to our astro convention at the town hall and I met him when he arrived in the car park - he had a cream coloured Triumph 2000 TC with tan velour upholstery. :) I also met Heather Couper on a few occasions. 

I've met Peter Drew many times at star parties - a lot of folks don't realise how significant he is in the world of astronomy, mostly because he's such a nice and modest chap. But you get talking to him and find out about the stuff he's done and you'll be fascinated. I was very flattered the first time he came to look at my solar scope when it was a new model. :)

I've met Sir Patrick Moore a couple of times and had a quick chat. Shared a very slow lift with him once !.

I've also met Story Musgrave who is the only astronaut to have flown on all 5 Space Shuttles. Prof Chandra Wickramasinghe spoke at our astro society a couple of months ago and I had a chat to him there. I chatted to Dudley Fuller a few times at Telescope House - he was quite a charachter !

Probably a few more who's name escapes me. I'd have loved to have met John Dobson but alas he is no longer with us :sad:

I'm sure there are members here who have brushed shoulders with many "names" in the astro world, far more than me. Some are quite well known themselves :smiley:

Horace Dall in 1973 on the ship Monte Umbe on the way to Mauritania to observe the six minutes plus of the total solar eclipse of that year.   One of the most unassuming and nicest gentleman you could imagine.  David Levy at Astrofest a few years ago and Patrick Moore also in 1973 and many times after this.  Also David Sinden, many times  but particularly memorable being on an Explorers tour of some of the West coast American observatories.  Many others also over the years.

Of contemporaries I'd have to agree with brantuk's comments regarding Peter (Drew).  I first met Peter in 1998 after I first moved up to Yorkshire.  I'm glad to count Pete as a friend and you couldn't find a more helpful, knowledgeable and kind man.  Hint - it's worth joining The Astronomy Centre to avail yourself of his expertise, but don't let on I told you this!  ?.

I've met with Peter myself once or twice and totally echo what others have said, he's a true gent.

Pete Lawrence once looked through my 16" dob and did a brief interview about the scope for the S@N section planned but this was understandably scuppered by the untimely death of Sir PM. I think I frustrated him by assuring him that the scope was as good for planetary views as it was for deep sky.

Not the same thing, but pretty cool to have exchanged several emails with Dave Kriege, and my scope appears in this little feature on Obsession Telescopes by the Wisconsin State Journal @ 1:02

Archived