SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mixed goodie bag of sweets!

Knighty2112

After watching a movie last night till around 1am, I wasn’t really tired enough for sleep, so a quick look outside revealed some nice dark (for this time of year anyway) skies, so took out the C8 SCT on my 8 SE GoTo mount and connected up Skysafari. After the obligatory 3 star alignment was done first up as it was blazing nice and red at me in the south I aimed for Mars. With my 18mm X-Cel EP I could immediately see the white glare from the north polar region. Seeing was pretty good (although scope  hadn’t cooled down) and with some carefull viewing I could just make out some slight smudges of darkness coming out despite the dust storm still raging on the planet. I did think at first that I was seeing things here (Lowell and his canals and all that), but it did seem pretty persistent when the slight wobbles in the air settled to allow viewing. Be interesting to see if an images taken of Mars at around the same time might back me up.

As it was nice and dark I then went for a wee tour around the sky, first off with the Saturn nebula nearby. First time for seeing this planetary, and it was quite easy to see why it got its name with its oval shap. Next up we’re some of the globs, M2, M15 and first time I believe for NGC6934, which stood out much more than I expected it too. Surprised it wasn’t picked up and in the M list? M71 next, and then quickly followed by M27 which stood out pretty well even though the sky wasn’t dark dark if you know what I mean.

A quick peek at M57 followed, and then I slewed right across to Andromeda to have a look at the blue snowball, and M31 which was high enough to see quite well. The owl cluster in Cassiopeia was next. Always puts a smile on my face this one for some reason I’ve not quite figured as yet. Low in the sky but nicely placed both Bode’s where next, which looked pretty well in the SCT still. M51 was next, which again was quite easy to see, although not as clear as Bodes where. A double in Bootes next, Xi, which split nicely. Across next to Hercules for the great M13, and M92 globulars which we’re quite hypnotic tonight in drawing me into the abyss of stars in the EP. Another planetary next again in Hercules, NGC6210. Nice test now for my SCT optics I switched across to Lyra again for the double double. Just split in the 18mm EP, I popped in my Delos 10mm for a closer look, which revealed them nicely with just a hint of a small airy ring around them. Not a good a split as what I got with my Omni 120mm ‘frac a few days back, but very nice non the less. 

As it was now about 2:15 the sky was just beginning to get light again in the east, and I was starting to feel tired myself I had a last look again at Mars, which by now was picking up heat from the roofs of my neighbors, so wasn’t as good a view as earlier, but notice that Neptune should now just be clearing my shrubbery so finished off with the 8th planet to call it a night. All in all quite a nice session, and as it was unplanned really it was quite a mixed bag of sweets that tasted nice anyway! ;) 

Sounds like an enjoyable session. I didn't notice any surface detail on Mars last night but maybe I didn't look properly as I assumed the dust storm would prevent me from seeing any. I continue to notice a slight whitening at the poles but not many people seem to be mentioning this.

1 hour ago, David Levi said:

Sounds like an enjoyable session. I didn't notice any surface detail on Mars last night but maybe I didn't look properly as I assumed the dust storm would prevent me from seeing any. I continue to notice a slight whitening at the poles but not many people seem to be mentioning this.

Thanks. As I say I could have just been imaging the details, but hoping to look again tonight to see if anything improves there, but not sure the weather will play ball for that as clouds predicted for later on. 

Good report - how do you find the 10mm Delos ? I bought a 12mm Delos from a guy on SGL and hopefully it will come this week ...

Just managed a handful of new messiers in Sagittarius last night here : Eagle , Omega nebula and several nice clusters among them ?

Archived