Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

orion25

Mars: The Dust Storm Progresses...

I did some observing and imaging on the night/morning of July 5/6 of a mostly clouded-over Mars. Through the EP Mars was bold and bright, but with only minor hints of albedo features near the poles; it was still mostly smooth, even more than last time. I created a composite image from several observations since last month using the Orion Deep Space Camera II with my Orion SkyView Pro 180mm Mak, processed in Registax 6:

2141092503_ASTRONOMY-MARSCOMPARISON(DSCBIGMAK)6-106-297-06-18CAPTION.thumb.jpg.324195803dcfab6cb8f77d88a58b4702.jpg

You can easily see how the dust storm has progressively taken over the Red Planet. You can also see the change in apparent size of Mars as it gets closer.

Here is a composite of two images taken using the Orion SolarShoot 5MP Solar System Camera with the same telescope. This camera teases out a bit more detail, but as you can see, Mars is getting cloudier for the time being:

1823825829_ASTRONOMY-MARS(5MPCOMPARISON)6-297-06-18CAPTION.thumb.jpg.9153b32af739f0219d17aa5c14d8b81d.jpg

Let us all hope the storm subsides, soon!

Reggie

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

Let us all hope the storm subsides, soon!

Agreed! Thanks for the report.

• Thanks 1

I'm amazed at how much bigger Mars has got in just the last month. I hadn't appreciated it was going to get so much larger, and still two and a half more weeks to get even closer!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel a lot better about how low down the planet is this year ?

• Like 1

That dust storm is definitely officially a worry.... still fingers crossed it clears in the next 3-4 weeks

• Like 1