Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Noctilucent Clouds Of The Season.

First time I have seen them this season. It is a bit later in the year than usual so the display isn't/wasn't as good as previous years. Will keep an eye out for them again.

Just taken out the bedroom window using a Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS and Canon 5D Mark III @ 70mm, ISO 800, 2", f/4.

Although the camera exaggerates them, to the naked eye the brightness is probably 50% of how it is portrayed in the image, so very easily seen (unlike my experience with the Northern Lights).

777480958_2018_07_07-NoctilucentClouds-MZ0A5863.thumb.jpg.01f5d6576ae57f8e4cc5a78c8a79d811.jpg

They are great.

I've still yet to see this spectacle......   what time is best to spot them from Yorkshire latitudes ?    ... and is North East or North West the best horizon to scan ??

Sean.

3 minutes ago, Craney said:

They are great.

I've still yet to see this spectacle......   what time is best to spot them from Yorkshire latitudes ?    ... and is North East or North West the best horizon to scan ??

Sean.

Sean, most of the time I have seen them they start NNW and migrate NNE. They extend about 10 degrees off the horizon, usually less and at this time of year about midnight to 2am, though that is usually when I go to bed and when I am most likely to spot them.... 

Those are my findings and may not be concrete of course...just that is how I have always seen them from my location.

Their appearance does seem random, one night there can be a fairly impressive display and the next night with almost identical conditions there's nothing...of course the conditions a few 10's of miles up may not be that similar...

Just keep an eye out and good luck!

Thanks,  I'll be out having a scan tonight.

I image in the back garden ( darker and no direct street lighting)  and wander to the front for a peek whilst a sequence is underway.   Fingers crossed.

Sean.

Archived