Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Demonperformer

Lunar optical effects list (disappearing)

This may be well-known to lunar observers, but it is new to me.

We are all familiar with the "lunar X", but there are quite a few other effects that show up under different lighting conditions. There is an article here that lists quite a few, but it is disappearing at the end of this month (July 2018). There may be some on this list that are not familiar, so possibly worth having a look while it is still available.

• Like 4

As an addendum to this:

Does anyone know of any (fairly!) simple articles on line explaining how the time of events like the lunar x are calculated?

17 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

As an addendum to this:

Does anyone know of any (fairly!) simple articles on line explaining how the time of events like the lunar x are calculated?

I did some looking into this a while back and do have some info somewhere. It all relates to the sun’s altitude relative to the moon’s surface at specific locations where the features are. I’ll try to find it.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I did some looking into this a while back and do have some info somewhere. It all relates to the sun’s altitude relative to the moon’s surface at specific locations where the features are. I’ll try to find it.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Just created a .pdf from it in my phone, does this work?

the-moon - clair-obscur.pdf

Stu, that works a treat. Thank you. 

May I enquire how you did that please ? There’s a few other Wiki Pages that I might do similar to before they disappear...

1 hour ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Stu, that works a treat. Thank you. 

May I enquire how you did that please ? There’s a few other Wiki Pages that I might do similar to before they disappear...

First time I’ve done it too. I went to the share icon at the bottom then create .pdf in iBooks. Worked well :)

7845AB16-1B2A-4DCE-94C8-7E63F4F45E5D.jpeg

1B18EFBE-86E7-4A06-8275-49672E45D646.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1