Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Tripod Leg Extension Screw Jammed - Help

bendiddley

Just picked up a second hand HEQ5 and discovered that the screw that you unscrew to let the bottom half of the tripod leg extend out is completely stuck. I have sprayed it a few times with WD40 penetrant but it hasn’t done anything. I don’t want to twist the winged handle too hard encase I crack the plastic. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

A052CDF1-1B85-4B62-A2C6-2F1C1D002A90.jpeg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I think you might be looking at some broken plastic in the very near future!! This is exactly what happened to my HEQ5 tripod after a couple of years left out in the garden. I twisted too hard and the black bits crumbled. I was then able to take a pair of pliers to the bolts and ease them free. I asked my local farm mechanic people to weld new wing bits on to the bolts and the problem never returned!

I wonder how much the hot weather is to blame? Perhaps try cooling the metal and it might ease up a bit?

Good luck.

9 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Unfortunately I think you might be looking at some broken plastic in the very near future!! This is exactly what happened to my HEQ5 tripod after a couple of years left out in the garden. I twisted too hard and the black bits crumbled. I was then able to take a pair of pliers to the bolts and ease them free. I asked my local farm mechanic people to weld new wing bits on to the bolts and the problem never returned!

I wonder how much the hot weather is to blame? Perhaps try cooling the metal and it might ease up a bit?

Good luck.

I think the plastic is sound, not going to crumble I don’t think as I’ve twisted it pretty hard already and it’s standing up to  it, just don’t want to try too hard. Yep you might be right about the hot weather. I might try leaving it out over night and seeing what it’s like in the morning. 

I would let the WD penetrate a little longer, then try both ways, clockwise/anticlock  to see if it gives.

For cooling, I would try some of the fast acting cooling/chill spray available from supermarkets, to try and rapidly chill the part, but cooling the plastic alone  can be fatal, just concentrate on the base area. For the opposite to cooling, a hot water shower, and what about two  long sticks either side of the wing to increase the leverage,  grip both sticks or tie-wrap them together, but just offer a slight twist, see if it gives?

Once my patience has lapsed, plier the thing off, and rebuild with a new one!

Tried to remove those little grub screws on an EQ5 leg once but gave up . Just wouldn’t shift. Think they used some sort of heavy duty thread lock on them. Would need some heat on them I think if they’re still using the thread  lock.

Thanks guys. Sadly I have two legs that are like this so don’t really want to buy replacements (at least not yet). Hopeful cooling overnight might help. Will also have a go at the two sticks (or something similar) on each side to add leverage. Have given it another spray with the penetrant so hoping that helps too. I had a go on the grub screws but they wouldn’t budge either.

I have had the same problem. Tried WD40 and other penetrating sprays to no avail. Eventually I used a wrench on them and the black plastic bits just snapped. I did then manage to release the legs, but have searched for equivalent winged bolts to no avail. I can use the tripod by releasing the bolts using a wrench but it is a bit of a hassle. Hope some one here comes up with a solution.

Hi,

Nothing much more to add but certainly try with the penetrating oil and leave a day or two, whether any manages to penetrate is anybodies guess. But also cool best you can, whether you can get it in a fridge or better still freezer for an hour or so would help. Then just try as said twisting mostly in anti clockwise direction, but the odd try clockwise as you need to "crack" the seal then it will come out.

The best scenario is to have the bolt cold and the housing (leg) hot so if you can cool try heating the surrounding leg with a heat gun or hair dryer but try not to heat the bolt.

The odd tap on top of the bolt with a hammer will help shock it out. Try to get some grips on the bolt itself to add extra leverage and tap the bolt with a hammer whilst trying to unscrew.

Finally if the plastic does break then there should be either a hex or square head uner the plastic you can then get a spanner on to give much more leverage than with the plastic.

Then order 3 more new screws and coat in silicone oil which will dry in a coating to help prevent this. Also then remove and re-oil regularly.

I bought 4 of these (8 x 30 mm) and they are fine.

Replacement Winged Bolts

Hope you get them out.

By the way this is the oil I coat them with.

Silicone Lubricant

Steve

Thanks guys. I had a go on one of the legs this morning and ended up using a wrench on it but the plastic winged handle has come loose so now twists round and round and is no longer gripping the bolt ? I hink I’m going to try and remove the winged handle as my next tactic. Seems pretty stuck on though. Any ideas how to do this?

4 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Hi,

Nothing much more to add but certainly try with the penetrating oil and leave a day or two, whether any manages to penetrate is anybodies guess. But also cool best you can, whether you can get it in a fridge or better still freezer for an hour or so would help. Then just try as said twisting mostly in anti clockwise direction, but the odd try clockwise as you need to "crack" the seal then it will come out.

The best scenario is to have the bolt cold and the housing (leg) hot so if you can cool try heating the surrounding leg with a heat gun or hair dryer but try not to heat the bolt.

The odd tap on top of the bolt with a hammer will help shock it out. Try to get some grips on the bolt itself to add extra leverage and tap the bolt with a hammer whilst trying to unscrew.

Finally if the plastic does break then there should be either a hex or square head uner the plastic you can then get a spanner on to give much more leverage than with the plastic.

Then order 3 more new screws and coat in silicone oil which will dry in a coating to help prevent this. Also then remove and re-oil regularly.

I bought 4 of these (8 x 30 mm) and they are fine.

Replacement Winged Bolts

Hope you get them out.

By the way this is the oil I coat them with.

Silicone Lubricant

Steve

Thanks for the link. I just have to work out what size the bolts are. Any idea ?

Ok. I’ve managed to get the plastic winged handle off but the end of the bolt is round so a spanner won’t work. It does have knurled vertical grooves on it though so I can get a pair of plyers to grip it but even doing this it’s still not budging. I’ve put some more penetrant on it, so I’m going to leave it a day or two and try again. Maybe see it I can get a longer pair of plyers to get more leverage. Blimey things we get to test us!!!

1 hour ago, Charic said:

Mole Grips may work better at this stage.

Currently using pipe wrench pliers which are doing a good job at gripping and there is plenty of leverage, but the screw is just not budging. How on earth this screw came to be this stuck I really don't know.

I think its beyond hope now. I've tried so many times with the wrench that the knurled grooves have been sheared off and the top of the bolt is almost smooth and the wrench is now just slipping. I think it's either a new replacement leg time or if the other leg proves equally impossible, new tripod time! ?

On 06/07/2018 at 21:44, bendiddley said:

Just picked up a second hand HEQ5 and discovered that the screw that you unscrew to let the bottom half of the tripod leg extend out is completely stuck. I have sprayed it a few times with WD40 penetrant but it hasn’t done anything. I don’t want to twist the winged handle too hard encase I crack the plastic. Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

A052CDF1-1B85-4B62-A2C6-2F1C1D002A90.jpeg

Loosen the four small allen screws in the body, that may give enough play to loosen the screw.

Guys I got it out!!!! I asked my neighbour who’s a builder if he had any ideas. After some pondering he put the tripod leg in his vice and used the biggest pair of wrench pliers ive ever seen on the bolt. After a few goes it started to budge and eventually came out! Just need to buy a replacement winged bolt and it’s all sorted. 

Archived