SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

power question

Hi guys quick question if anyone knows, I am currently having problems with my power supply. I run my HEQ5 mount off a battery but lately it has been disconnecting from eqmod after a few hrs ( I first thought it was the battery but have now ruled that out). I also have mains in my observatory so tried out the power pack (now this sometimes worked and sometimes didnt). So I was thinking of buying a new power pack and there were two in mind the baader and the lynx astro but while browsing I noticed this Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply  so would I be better off buying the linear power supply that way I can still use the hitecastro lead that I got (which has done the job well) as it will just plug into this linear power supply via cigarette socket. Any thoughts guys?

If the problem is not the battery then a new power supply most likely wont help. Check the cable and connectors and also the power socket at the mount. The power socket has a reputation for being  a failure point.

I go along with the power socket at the mount, but what I,m saying is it will work off the battery with my hitec cable (which has a cigarette socket) by using that linear supply box I can still use the same hitec lead surely?  which I know works, also I noticed the hitec lead slots all the way in bit the mains power pack connector dosnt it protudes out about 5mm so that cant be a good fit can it

5 hours ago, brrttpaul said:

it protudes out about 5mm so that cant be a good fit can it

The standard 5.5mm OD, 2.1/2.5mm ID power jacks tend to come in 2 lengths, 10mm & 14mm. The mating sockets are designed for (often 10mm, but sometimes 14mm) external power supplies only - where there is no internal battery pack; or (often 14mm, but sometimes 10mm) where the socket incorporates a "switch" to disconnect internal batteries when an external supply is used. I tend to use the 14mm jacks, as they make good contact with both variants of socket. 

Geoff

The Nevada PS-08 has a "Cigar lighter" standard car-type output connector and 4mm terminal posts. With the correct interface lead, this supply should work with your mount. FLO sell it, so it should be a good supply.

Geoff

Archived