Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheapish eyepiece sets

jgs001

Hi all, it's been quite a while since I've been on here, but I'm looking for some advice please.

My lad is off to scout camp in wales, and whilst I don't mind him taking my ST80, I really don't want him taking my Baader EP's with him as each cost more than the scope did. Can anyone suggest a reasonable, yet cheap EP set that he can take with him please? (I know you get what you pay for, but as most of them have probably never looked through a 'scope, and I want them to take something that doesn't matter if it gets dropped...)

Or you could get him one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seben-Zoom-Telescope-Eyepiece-7-5-22-5mm-1-25-31-7mm-SZ1-Astronomy/380697725280?epid=2255950561&hash=item58a35a4960:g:nt8AAOSwXeJXe2IE

I have one that I used to use for aligning my SCT, which I no longer have.

If you PM me your address I'll post it to you tomorrow and you can just post it back after the camp ? 

The Astroboot Revelations are very good for their money, if their in stock. I've sold far' better branded'  Plossl eyepieces, but during my tests, the Revelations  came out tops. See my signature to see what sold, and I have no regrets either.

Just a small note, when your searching for them on Astroboot, enter GSO into the search box. Their branded Revelation but GSO built, and also remember that eye relief is very short on the shorter focal lengths.

The BST Starguiders are a great too, the 8mm and 12mm work vey well on my f/6, they should work well on your f/5 scope. The BST's are dearer, but much more comfortable to use.

Dry, that's a very kind offer, if I can't find anything suitable, it would be useful to have a couple for other scout activities (I'm running an astronomy night in January for example.

For the eclipse last summer, I packed my ST80, a 32mm GSO plossl, and my Celestron Regal 8-24mm zoom I picked up off of ebay for $60.  All told, under $200.  I also packed a good, but older Manfrotto tripod and fluid head.  I was concerned about my van getting broken into in a motel parking lot.  There are gangs that rove up and down the interstates looking for targets.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 06/07/2018 at 18:20, Ricochet said:

The 10 and 23mm (vite) aspherics on eBay aren't bad performers and are extremely cheap if you've got time to wait for them to arrive from China. 

I've just had a pair of these arrive together (from independent suppliers).

They feel incredibly cheap, being largely plastic and very light (especially the 10mm). The 23mm has a HUGE lens. Only the 23mm is obviously coated.

There are some interesting comments on CN which suggest that these perform really well for the price (which is about £8 each).

It will be interesting to see how they compare the the 'standard' SW 10 and 25mm eyepieces  and my 25mm Opticstar plossl which seems to be very pleasant to use (and wasn't very expensive either).

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They feel incredibly cheap, being largely plastic and very light (especially the 10mm). The 23mm has a HUGE lens. Only the 23mm is obviously coated.

There are some interesting comments on CN which suggest that these perform really well for the price (which is about £8 each).

Yes, they have scrimped on the construction a bit but I was surprised at how good the image quality is. 

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It will be interesting to see how they compare the the 'standard' SW 10 and 25mm eyepieces  and my 25mm Opticstar plossl which seems to be very pleasant to use (and wasn't very expensive either).

Also keep in mind you'll be comparing a 62 degree eyepiece to a 50 degree eyepiece.  At three elements, the 23mm has better edge correction than a 60 degree 5 element Konig at f/6.

Archived