SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Irix 15mm f/2.4

Buzzard75

Anyone familiar with this lens? I'm looking to get a wide angle lens and I've had my eye on the Rokinon 14mm as it seems to be a pretty popular lens for widefield work with good reviews. There are apparently two models of this Irix lens. The Firefly is plastic construction and the Blackstone is metal construction and about $250 more expensive here in the US.

11 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

the rokinon/samyang 16mm is a better option it's f2 . 

Wider aperture, sure, but to remove the coma and other effects the aperture would probably need to be stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6 anyway. On top of that, it's not as wide of an angle. The Rokinon/Samyang 16mm is only 80 degrees where as the Irix 15mm is 110. The Rokinon 14mm however is 115. They are much more comparable wide angle lenses. I also have to take into account that I'm using a DSLR with an APS-C sensor so my focal length and angle will also be reduced. It also doesn't have any contacts on the back of the lens to communicate with the camera. Not knocking the capability of the Rokinon 16mm, it's just not one I'm considering for various reasons.

Was hoping someone around here had used the Irix so I could get their opinion. I haven't read anything bad about it, it just doesn't seem like it's a very commonly used lens and I didn't know if that was because it just wasn't any good or if it's just an unknown brand.

1 hour ago, pc387 said:

Hi,

I came across this "review/advertising" a while back on Ephotozine, which may be of use?

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/photographing-the-night-sky-with-irix-lenses--32121

pc387

Seems to focus more on astrophotography in general and doesn't provide much detail about the lens performance. I've read a good number of reviews and watched videos from people who claim to be professionals, but the majority were provided the lens for review or paid to review it. They all say it's as good as or better than the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm. In fact, some suspect it's actually made by Samyang or at least using the same facility that makes Samyang and Rokinon, but the design company is Swiss. However, the large majority of those reviews speak more to it's landscape photographic ability and not so much about the astrophotography capability. They briefly touch on coma and chromatic aberration as it applies to landscape and city nightscapes, but not so much on starscapes. I may just bite the bullet and get the cheaper version made of plastic rather than metal. The metal weighs more and I don't necessarily need the weatherproofing. That and the focus ring on the plastic version is rubberized with a raised nub to more easily move the focus ring.

Archived