Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

16x70 or 16x80 - Which is best for use on a monopod?

iPeace

With the APM sale on, I'm contemplating some bigger bins - must be suitable for use on a monopod.

16x70 would be a nice upgrade over my current 15x50, but I'm also tempted by 16x80. Would I regret trying to use 16x80 on a monopod?

:icon_scratch:

EDIT: Apologies if I'm not making sense...

I have some Helios Apollos 15x70 up there with my best astronomy buys for sure... Beautifully sharpe and colourful images! More mag or more aperture? Depends what you are looking for... I absolutely love the wide field of views my Apollos give 4° and they are heavy beasts and cope well on the monopod...

Just now, Patbloke said:

More mag or more aperture? Depends what you are looking for...

Good point; I've tried 10x30, 15x50 and (a friend's) 20x60. I do enjoy the mag/FOV combination of 15x50, so this is me contemplating more aperture (not more magnification), which means bigger bins, with which I have no experience, hence my query. Just curious whether anyone can comment on whether 16x80, or 80mm bins in general, is overcooking it a bit for use on a monopod (as I honestly just don't know). If so, I'd know it's better to just go for 16x70.

:happy11:

I did use a pair of Apollo 15x85s on a monopod and it worked really well. However you’ll need a quality monopod. Budget on about £125.00 to £150.00 for a suitable monopod and head. A monopod with feet really helps for stability. 

A85268D3-C18B-4A00-83E6-0E6B7E12B731.jpeg

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

I did use a pair of Apollo 15x85s on a monopod and it worked really well.

That's what I really wanted to read. :thumbright:

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

However you’ll need a quality monopod.

Thanks, I may have to slum it for a while... :grin: EDIT: this is a joke, my monopod setup is documented here:

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

That's what I really wanted to read. :thumbright:

Thanks, I may have to slum it for a while... :grin:

My monopod and grip were a lot less than £125... Looks the same pistol grip attachment though... When I get back home I'll send you the details. I have not the three little legs on the foot of it though... I thought the idea was to stand holding it, the monopod just takes the weight and keeps it stable. Mine is also a long one as I am 6ft 2" (1.85 in new money) so I didn't want to be cracking my neck when standing up.

I have used mine sat on a balcony leaning back in a chair with one leg supporting the monopod... it's as steady as a steady thing ?  

6 hours ago, iPeace said:

With the APM sale on, I'm contemplating some bigger bins - must be suitable for use on a monopod.

16x70 would be a nice upgrade over my current 15x50, but I'm also tempted by 16x80. Would I regret trying to use 16x80 on a monopod?

:icon_scratch:

EDIT: Apologies if I'm not making sense...

16x80s will be bigger than you might think. I have 80mm mini-fracs and a couple of 70mm objective bins. That extra 10mm OL diameter makes a noticable size difference. Twice will be more weight and width.

Speaking of sales,  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_helios-lightquest-hr-80mm-binoculars_88241.html

I have the Helios LightQuest 16x80s and have used them on my monopod

IMG_20171207_202631.thumb.jpg.102ff656298d03b233e72c2dae916be3.jpg

IMAG1178.jpg

They are slightly bigger than my older Helios Apollo 15x70, but weight the same (or a shade more). The combination works fine for me.

I also used to have Opticron Observation WP 16x80 bins, which were good, but had insufficient maximum IPD. They were lighter than the Helios Apollo 15x70, but quite a bit longer, as can be seen below

IMG_20170614_194559.thumb.jpg.b964335129da2d329a64b8b96dc53efd.jpg

40 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The combination works fine for me. 

Thanks, the answers I'm getting are reassuring; I feel confident that 16×80 should work well on the monopod. :thumbright:

Archived