Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Filter?

I have been doing AP for nearly 2 years now and I've not purchased any filters. I've situated within the dark skies of Suffolk and I'm curious, if I was to purchase a filter for my optical train, which one would you guys recommend? I mainly capture DSO's so that's a bonus. I have an IR modded Canon 1000D but it has some dust on the sensor and so I've not been using that one recently, but instead I've been using my unmodded Canon 1000D.

Any thoughts? I don't really want to break the bank but I'm curious what would improve my results best? Cheers!

First thoughts would be to see if decent flats remove the dust marks from the images from your 1000d, if not try to clean the sensor.

Secondly I would recommend buying a 12nm H-alpha filter for your 1000d, and it would need to be used with the modded 1000d.

An EOS insert filter is a nice addition, they come in various brands.  Some examples, I have the one in the first link.

https://www.365astronomy.com/Astronomik-H-Alpha-CCD-12nm-Passband-Clip-Filter-for-Canon-EOS.html

https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-h-alpha-7nm-narrowband-deepsky-filter-for-canon-eos-aps-c-cameras.html

I took this with a Canon 1000d and the EOS clip filter above, about 14 hours integration time total in 600s subs at IOS1600 -->

NGC7000_IC5070_false.jpg

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

First thoughts would be to see if decent flats remove the dust marks from the images from your 1000d, if not try to clean the sensor.

Secondly I would recommend buying a 12nm H-alpha filter for your 1000d, and it would need to be used with the modded 1000d.

An EOS insert filter is a nice addition, they come in various brands.  Some examples, I have the one in the first link.

https://www.365astronomy.com/Astronomik-H-Alpha-CCD-12nm-Passband-Clip-Filter-for-Canon-EOS.html

https://www.365astronomy.com/optolong-h-alpha-7nm-narrowband-deepsky-filter-for-canon-eos-aps-c-cameras.html

I took this with a Canon 1000d and the EOS clip filter above, about 14 hours integration time total in 600s subs at IOS1600 -->

NGC7000_IC5070_false.jpg

Do you have anymore examples of photos taken with a that filter with this setup mate? Looks like a great picture! Thanks for the advice!

There are better examples, but here are a few either taken with a 1000d or a 40d (both have exactly the same 10MP sensor).  With the bi-colour pelican, I also used a 12nm Oiii clip filter for a second set of exposures.  The Oiii however is not really 'that' productive with the DSLR but does add nice colour.

B33_editing.jpg

IC5070_Ha_mono.jpg

pelican_neb_HO.jpeg

NGC7635_v2.jpg

M27_ha.jpg

M57_ha.jpg

I'd also recommend exactly as tooth dr has..a HA filter gives depth and contrast to the image,small stars and cuts most light pollution out..does like longer than usual subs and higher iso..make sure you use on the modded camera thou and as Adam has also suggested take flats for the dust bunnies..

15 hours ago, newbie alert said:

I'd also recommend exactly as tooth dr has..a HA filter gives depth and contrast to the image,small stars and cuts most light pollution out..does like longer than usual subs and higher iso..make sure you use on the modded camera thou and as Adam has also suggested take flats for the dust bunnies..

Is there a limit to how many filter you can use at once? Or generally it's not best to use them in combination? I am new to the filter techniques :)

42 minutes ago, PESKYWAABBIT said:

This looks incredible... Was this the one with the 12nm Oii clip in filter? Iam super impressed with this. Thank you so much for the help :)

Thanks PeskyWaabbit.  I used the Ha filter and Oiii filters separately to gather the data.  The Ha layer is then used as the Luminance layer as it has lots of detail, and the Oiii and Ha are mapped to blue and red respectively and used for colouration.  I will try to upload the Oiii stacked data and Ha stacked data later to show you the difference.

6 hours ago, PESKYWAABBIT said:

Is there a limit to how many filter you can use at once? Or generally it's not best to use them in combination? I am new to the filter techniques :)

Certain filters will either block or pass different wavelengths ,depending on what you want them to do..you  need a different filter to do a certain job but such as narrowband filters will also block  light pollution as they only pass a very small bandwidth through of the spectrum outside of our visual capabilities of our eyes..as a example a 3nm is almost moon proof

11 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

they only pass a very small bandwidth through of the spectrum outside of our visual capabilities of our eyes

Visible light is 400-700 nm.  H-alpha is in the visible light spectrum at 656nm.  As is Oiii at 486nm.

@PESKYWAABBIT If you use an Ha filter only light at 656nm gets through to the sensor.  Same for the Oiii but at a different wavelength.  You obviously cant use both at the same time because no light at all will get through - eg the Ha will let through 656nm onto the Oiii filter, but then it wont let any light though as there is no light at 486nm to pass through if that makes sense. (You can get a single filter that does both but these are not common).

So you use these filters separately.

Visible light is 400-700 nm.  H-alpha is in the visible light spectrum at 656nm.  As is Oiii at 486nm.

had to look this up Adam and you're quite correct...

I took it on the assumption that if you looked ad a nebula that was high in HA such as say the North American, or the rosette  as a example you could visually see it..but you cant..

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Visible light is 400-700 nm.  H-alpha is in the visible light spectrum at 656nm.  As is Oiii at 486nm.

@PESKYWAABBIT If you use an Ha filter only light at 656nm gets through to the sensor.  Same for the Oiii but at a different wavelength.  You obviously cant use both at the same time because no light at all will get through - eg the Ha will let through 656nm onto the Oiii filter, but then it wont let any light though as there is no light at 486nm to pass through if that makes sense. (You can get a single filter that does both but these are not common).

So you use these filters separately.

How about a CLS filter as a clip in, then an actual filter such as H-alpha or Oiii as a 2inch ringed one? Or would you not need a CLS when using a H-alpha?

38 minutes ago, PESKYWAABBIT said:

How about a CLS filter as a clip in, then an actual filter such as H-alpha or Oiii as a 2inch ringed one? Or would you not need a CLS when using a H-alpha?

CLS lets through a wide range of wavelengths, one of which is 656.3nm (h-alpha). You don’t need both simultaneously- you are either shooting broadband with the CLS LP filter or narrowband with the Ha filter. Personally I like my clip filter because it can be used with camera lenses and it gives me max flexibility when attaching camera to my scopes. I have got CLS, Ha and Oiii clips. 

Archived