SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Robotic observatory for Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, advice needed

The Kapteyn Astronomical Institute of the University of Groningen has received funding for a robotic observatory to be located in the Lauwersmeer Dark-Sky Park some distance north-west of Groningen. I have been asked to join the team planning the building of the shed to house the scopes. At least three systems will be housed there: a meteor camera, a scope of the university, and a second scope of a very experienced scope builder (who will also be in the team determining the specs and design of the robotic scope itself). My problem is therefore restricted to housing this equipment securely, in a shed/obsy that can be operated remotely. As I have zero experience, and just a little more knowledge in the area, I would like to tap in to the collective knowledge here. In particular:

- Are there any good sources for designs of both the structure of such an observatory?

- Likewise, do people have wiring diagrams / program code available for Arduino or Raspberry Pi based controllers of the roof?

- Are there particular pitfalls we should be aware of?

- Does anybody know of companies that can build such a shed?

Note that we are think of a roll-off roof design rather than a using multiple domes, which would probably be beyond our budget, and can lead to problems getting planning permission. We also want the scopes to be usable during outreach events, in non-robotic mode, with space for plenty of people.

All advice greatly appreciated.

I'm currently working on a similar sounding project, a remotely controlled installation housing a group of telescopes for ccd and video imaging plus a solar instrument. The probable main difference with our project, although it is intended for remote operation, is that  the housing itself is on site which gives the potential for evolution from supervised to genuine remote. Regardless of the site, instrumentation and overall design, the main prerequisite is Reliability-Reliability-Reliability!

Our housing is 8feet square blockwork and will be topped off with a biparting all aluminium roof of similar design to our half cylinder observatories. The roof is still a "back of an envelope" design although the basic details follow those of our other successful units.

I am not familiar with the electronics necessary to run the installation but fortunately it is in the hands of others who are. I'm sure we can share details in due course.

Right now, I'm busy cladding the blockwork structure with plastic panelling to protect it from the harsh weather that we experience at certain time of the year. Photos in due course although there are some early ones on our website.   ?

Hi Michael ....

Maybe you can make contact with Rupert Smith ... he sells a wide range of "high level"  Astro Equipment here in London ... he has been VERY helpful in supplying all sorts of Astro equipemnt and helping me set it up.

I do know that he is heavily involved in a sizable Robotic Observatory in Southern Spain. He seems to be going down there to set up new telescopes and equipment for remote control. As far as I know he was involved in setting the site up from very early stages.

He is bound to have contacts who might be able to help you in your quest.

If you decide to contact him then you are most welcome to mention my name ?

Rupert's contact details are:

Rupert Smith

Astrograph Ltd

57 Allenswood Road

London

SE9 6RW

United Kingdom

Tel: (+44) 843 330 4988

Email: sales@astrograph.net

Cheers .... Mike Paling

Archived