Narrowband

The best thing about stargazing is....(enter your opinion here)

I’m very curious to see you all finishing the sentence.

For me it’s: 

.... that there is no rush! The stars and planets have been there millions of years, and they will stay there millions of years. We have plenty of time to observe and image them and if not tonight then tomorrow :) 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of it really but especially the silence in the middle of the night when you're at the eyepiece and you find something new there is a nice sense of achievement and always a wee wow moment.

Obviously a view through a frac tho that's a no brainer of course ?

56 minutes ago, Obi Wan Ken00bi said:

I’m very curious to see you all finishing the sentence.

...feeling at one with the universe.  The peace, the quiet, and that sense of awe.

Driving out to a dark site after a hard days work, buying a coffee along the way, finding myself alone in pitch darkness, and rediscovering the night sky as though i'd never seen it before.

...everyone I've ever met under a starry sky is my answer.  Has anyone ever met a stargazer they didn't like? 

The worst thing about stargazing is that not enough people do it.  Just put aside the guns, the bombs, the bullets, the knives, the prejudices, the pettifogging hatreds, the consuming envies and wander around the Milky Way rejoicing in the privilege you have of being alive in such a Universe, using those miracles of evolution, your eyes to see and a brain to admire, to pick out the Galilean moons of Jupiter, the rings of Saturn, the craters of the moon, sparkling clusters of a thousand stars, the birthing pool of new blue stars, gaze in wonder at the never-ending immensity above you and be grateful.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

I've been stargazing for many years, most of them spent more or less on my own in my back yard enjoying the sights of the Universe. Around 3 years ago I joined my local astro society and through them I now get involved regularly in outreach events. Sharing the sights of the Universe with others, young and old, experienced and inexperienced astronomy-wise, has bought a really enjoyable additional dimension to the hobby for me. You get to enjoy familliar sights over and over again through the reaction of others seeing them for the 1st time. I can't recommend this enough if you get a chance :icon_biggrin:

So currently I'd say that sharing is the best thing about the hobby for me :icon_biggrin:

32 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

My thoughts exactly.

20 hours ago, Chinapig said:

...feeling at one with the universe.  The peace, the quiet, and that sense of awe.

This is it in a nutshell !

The best thing about stargazing is...… Increasingly my focus is concerning informed awareness as to how vulnerable and valuable pockets of dark sky places are in contemporary landscapes, at least in my region of the UK. 

18 hours ago, Relpet said:

...everyone I've ever met under a starry sky is my answer.  Has anyone ever met a stargazer they didn't like? 

The worst thing about stargazing is that not enough people do it.  Just put aside the guns, the bombs, the bullets, the knives, the prejudices, the pettifogging hatreds, the consuming envies and wander around the Milky Way rejoicing in the privilege you have of being alive in such a Universe, using those miracles of evolution, your eyes to see and a brain to admire, to pick out the Galilean moons of Jupiter, the rings of Saturn, the craters of the moon, sparkling clusters of a thousand stars, the birthing pool of new blue stars, gaze in wonder at the never-ending immensity above you and be grateful.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

I think you carried many of us with you.     You certainly saved me time writing my response, because it would parallel yours almost to the letter.     Anyone who has gazed into the Scutum Star Clouds, or even the naked eye wonder of our own arm of the  MW Galaxy for example, must surely feel part of grand scheme, about which, we cannot possibly contemplate, but the Inner self is quite content to accept whatever it might be.

The perspective it gives you with life's little problems, and the feeling of piece gained from that. Also the appreciation of looking through good optics at things only a hand full of us take time from our bubbles to look at and ponder about.

Also I feel it's inbuilt to some extent, I remember getting very excited about space and telescopes from an early age, my brothers, parents, and friends had no interest in space really.   

P.s. I do love looking at nice shiny kit, and SGL is almost a hobby in it's own right, and an addictive one at that! :grin:

Best thing is .... a joy to help others. Many fall by the wayside or try paddling when ,they've jumped in at the deep end. Remember that knowledge has no function unless it is shared.

To see faces light up at outreach is a very special feedback which makes out fumbling worthwhile. Star parties are just the cream on fumble pie !

old Nicko.

The lighthearted response is... the lie in afterwards.

The wistful response is... something you can enjoy alone but share with other like minded people.

The serious response is.. the sense of awe when you realise just what you are looking at whether with naked eye, optics or on the screen. Imagine how Galileo felt seeing things no human in all history had seen before, and we can see more than he did and more than 99% of humanity will ever see with their own eyes, and not for want of opportunity for most of them.

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The serious response is.. the sense of awe when you realise just what you are looking at whether with naked eye, optics or on the screen. Imagine how Galileo felt seeing things no human in all history had seen before, and we can see more than he did and more than 99% of humanity will ever see with their own eyes, and not for want of opportunity for most of them.

Perfect.... 

Absolutely amazing. 20 + answers and generally the same (or very similar theme at least). The late night parties and missing Big Brother are coming from a slightly different angle, but quite valid reasons from my point of view :thumbsup:

Generally my reply would encompass the same thoughts. I just find it amazing being in the dark alone and so much to look at, so far away in distance and time I just struggle to comprehend, why is it here, where does it end and where did it all come from, what else is out there.

Then after the time alone with time to reflect and ponder I can come on one of the friendlies Forums around to share and talk and get some great info and banter.

Then back to the reality of it all.

Steve

Archived