Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy now November 2008

algol

anyone else got theirs yet? got mine today and it's a visual astronomy special.

very nice and unique style to the monthly guide, it looks handwritten with little notes like next to jupiter in one of the bits is " may try to spot jupiter's GRS tonight"

looks great and theres a big section one sketching the moon and deep sky stuff.

very ace.

I bought my first two astronomy mags last month. I dont really have time to read any more than I do, but I was on holiday...

The american one was, erm, sky and telescope i think, and there was a useful article by Jerry Lodspellingescapesme about dslr photography.

The BBC mag was I thought, geared to the newbie, with dumbed down writing, but it was a newcomer to astronomy special issue.

I tend to prefer articles that go into the why's and wherefore's in some detail really. Not sure if or which astro mag I might subscribe to yet, gonna get the 3 free issues of S@N though.

Cheers

TJ

I bought the November copy this afternoon intrigued by this post. It's very good. I like the article about sketching, and the pages on the sky in October. The articles seem to give more information on a topic that the S@N does, though S@N has good beginners articles and there's of course the Sky at Night video.

I have to decide which subscription to go for, mini-miny-mo, which one do I go for :scratch: ? I just wish S@N had articles that expanded more on a topic than it does at the moment.

It's in Rob and looks great. Congratulations on that.

I thought the visual thing was great, what a shame Neil Bone had to sour things in his introduction with his crass comments on imaging. I was going to post a seperate thread from home when I can quote him accurately. Think I still will to see if it's just me that has been riled.

I giot an email saying that my elephants trunk nebula is in it this month, but being currently in the Ukraine it's hard to get a look!

Anyone see it?

Cheers

Rob

It's in Rob...right next to a big Sun piccie..

Hi guys,

I currently subscribe to S@N magazine but have been thinking of switching to AN - for more indepth stuff. Seeing as I'm very into my sketching etc, will definetly have a look at this month's issue - cheers for the heads-up! :thumbright:

Stef

if you are looking for a more detailed astromag, then I cant help, and as far as I have read, none of the mags go in to any detail...they are in fact all dire in my view

For imagers, Practical Astronomer is better than the "other two" IMHO.

I just

I expect he is a nice guy. And possibly, oh I don't know...maybe a little tactless...?

i just read his article...

I'd better take the 5th amendment as to what I think... as an avid imager, it's a bit close to the "bone" for me

I think Astronomy Now is the best one out of the news stand mags. It's got a lot of good information - and it's nice to SGL images in there on a regular basis. The comments on imaging in the November issue were a little controversial, but there's a whole post on that so I won't say anything else here.

For starting out S@N is probably the best one but then a move AN will satisfy an increasing appetite. The professional scientists - or enthusiastic undergrads may not find AN particularly illuminating but for most others it's probably a good one to thumb through - and maybe even read! :):D

Sam

Yes truly

I just couldn't get on with the style of text it was hard to read.

This is strange as I'm also very interested in genealogy and have read numerous text from the 17th century which is stylised very similar.

Archived