Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fruitless hunt for NLCs, but still a nocturnal image

As NLCs had been spotted the night before, I drove to a nice spot called Aduarderzijl, north of Groningen. Apart from some very faint hints, which might or might not have been clearer patches between thin strands of regular clouds, I couldn't make anything out. I still tried a shot with the Canon EF-S 10-18mm zoom on my EOS 80D.

IMG_0035a.thumb.JPG.f856bfd7fe379f5c217d8b0520d25e47.JPG

Some faint brighter stripes can be seen, but I am not at all sure they are NLCs. Hoping for better luck next time.

Still a great view. Very handsome looking sky.

I've been keeping a look out for NLC's since early June. I'm starting to think that the atmospheric conditions just aren't favourable.

NLC spotting seems to be as frustrating as Aurora chasing.

They are not quite predictable,  the best conditions are not conducive to a good social life, or befriending the neighbours,  you will probably have to drive somewhere and obtain a good, clear Northern horizon,  they come out better on longer exposure frames  ie. they might not be obvious to the unaided eye and it is a lucky guess as to which is the best lens to take and use.

I have been looking over the last couple of nights and seen nothing convincing.    Just to rub it in, a bloke on FaceBook on the same night  produces some fantastic pictures from Sheffield !!!!   Yes Sheffield, that high latitude dark skies paradise.

Archived