SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

03-07-18 Saturn

morimarty

I captured this image of Saturn in the early hours of the 03-07-18. Processed in As2. astroart5.and Cs6 the image is a IR-RGB resized 125%.

Celestron C11xlt

Asi290mm camera

Baader IR685 & RGB Filters

Thanks for looking.

saturn IRRGB 03-07-18 .png

15 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Very nice indeed! I'm wondering if the IR as Lum filter made a lot of difference?

Hi Tom, To be honest the IR lum made only a very slight difference, but it did seem to give the rings a lift. As I'm sure you know the Asi290mm is very sensitive in the near IR as it is.  So it might be worth trying a stronger IR pass filter in future to see if it makes any significant improvement.

Thanks for the comments and ticking the like Box everyone they are very much appreciated.

Thanks for that Martyn.

I've always struggled to get to grips with the merits/demerits of IR pass/block filters. I did passably well imaging Jupiter and Saturn with the ASI290  last year but I really struggled with Mars - so my interest in the IR issue is actually more about IR generally.  

What have you used/do you use for Mars. IR block? IR pass? Neither of the above!?

Tom I've just posted an image of Mars captured early this morning 06-07-18 with my IR685 pass filter over on the observing section (mars beckoned but did not show it's face). Strange place to post an image I Know, but there is a great post by John who was out observing mars looking to see if there was any detail to be seen through the current dust storm. Take a look I may even try and process the RGB and repost it back here?

4 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Superb image, super sharp with plenty of detail visible. Have moved to Australia ?

Pete I wish but I've hit the 55year old barrier now :eek: should have done it years ago.

3 hours ago, morimarty said:

Pete I wish but I've hit the 55year old barrier now :eek: should have done it years ago.

I turned 52 a couple of weeks ago, it doesn't seem 5 minutes since I was looking for Halleys comet from my bedroom window in 86 ? 

4 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

I turned 52 a couple of weeks ago, it doesn't seem 5 minutes since I was looking for Halleys comet from my bedroom window in 86 ? 

A mere youngster! Some of us can even remember the days when the Milky Way was visible above London, and in the evenings we use to cluster around some new-fangled contraption my mother called the wireless to listen to the Goon Show.

Chris

Archived