SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hale-Bopp Easter 1997 - What do you remember?

Fozzie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

My most memorable view of a comet was Hyakutake the previous year, I was staying the night in Sourlies bothy on the Scottish west coast after a winter traverse of Muros in the area, no light polution at all and the comet was at it brightest, under clear skies i could follow the tail 2 thirds across the entire sky, it was so incredible i will never forget it.

Comet Ikea-chan? A few years later was not bad also.

I have stayed at this bothy in winter conditions (and one time in summer) on a similar venture, that description of Hyakutake from this location, I can fully appreciate as you say, would have been incredible. 

• 1 month later...

I was spending a lot of nights driving around the country on various motorways at that time, to or from showgrounds with a vanload of cider.

I must have spent many a contented mile gazing up rapturously at Hale-Bopp when I should have been concentrating on the road ahead

I remember Hale-Bopp.  I actually stood with my family in our street and watched it over the roof of our house.  It always stood out in my mind how I would probably never get the opportunity to see another quite like it in my lifetime. 

I remember it quite well. I grew up with a telesope and have always been "looking up". 

In 1997 I was in the US Military, and we were doing a gunnery range in Táborfalva Hungary (part way through a Bosnia deployment). I vividly remember seeing the comet and how bright it was. I also remember looking at the comet through PVS-7b NV goggles and being shocked at how much bigger the plume was with artificially enhanced (and green) light. 

Hale Bopp is probably going to be remembered in Letchworth n das history.   Held a star party expecting the usual turn out.  Oh dear.  Very wrong.  Instead of 100 or so more like 1000.  Caused gridlock on roads near Standalone.  Police not entirely happy.   However, fantastic night with great views.    

Bit late to this thread, but yes I remember it well. No scope in those days, took my binoculars out to near the beach and looked at it - one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen. The distant constant roar of the surf coupled with the comet apparently speeding across the sky streaming out a double tail seemed to combine as though I could "hear" the comet. No stimulants involved !.

Archived