• Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ola Skarpen said:

My Try

Mix SHO

Red layer 50% SII and 50% ha

Green layer 16% HA and 80% OIII

Blue layer 100% OIII

MIXSHO_AIP2.png

Yep different palette.  I tend to stick with the straight SHO as that takes the decision out of my hand---I typically make bad decisions!.  Looks good

Rodd

On 02/07/2018 at 18:28, Rodd said:

For my northern comrades (or anyone who is in need of some data).  This is narrowband M17.  Next time I will try to post LRGB data. The number of subs for each stack is in the stack name.  All subs were 5 min.  Taken with TOA 130 at F7.7 and ASI 1600mmcool pro with Astrodon 3um filters.  Fully calibrated. This is one target that I wished I had used the .7x reducer--I think the framing would have been much better.  But overall I am pleased with the data.  Conditions weren't great, and I think that manifests in a slightly soft appearance.  I also think that more subs would help.  As a fairly bright target, I thought I could get away with fewer than normal for the ASI 1600. 

Good Luck.....Have fun!!!!

Thank you very much for sharing the data.  I have just purchased my first narrowband filter set and wanted to try out the processing before taking any data of my own.  Your data is superb by the way.

Here is my first attempt using Pixinsight and PS.    Think I might have overdone it a bit but I will practice more.

Image09.jpg

1 hour ago, wornish said:

Here is my first attempt using Pixinsight and PS.    Think I might have overdone it a bit but I will practice more.

Not bad for a first try.  You already know what you need to do....that is the first step.  The devi is in the details as you know, the smallest setting change or tweak can really make a difference, or a series of tiny tweaks.  Subtle differences can be huge.  You have a very nice background, the stars look great without being overdone, and you picked up some of the OIII envelope around the edges.  Well done.

Rodd

Thanks for sharing,

here is my first attempt at processing your image. I used Pixinsight. First the image was combined in LRGBCombination and put SII in red, Ha in green and OIII in blue. I used deconvolution on the combined SHO image and then I ran ATrousWaveletTransformation for noise reduction and after that I stretched it using HistogramTransformation after that the image became non-linear and I started to reduce the star size using StarMask to mask out the stars and MorphologicalTransformation to make stars look smaller and to bring out the faint dust the next step was to increase the colour of the nebula I increased the colour by first extracting Luminance from the image then I used LRGBCombination and I put the Luminance in the L channel and disabled R,G,B  channels and lovered Saturation to 0.180 in Transfer Function and selected the SHO image applied it. And the final step was doing HDRMultiscaleTransform. I think it's a little bit too processed.

M16.jpg

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:22, Petar b said:

Thanks for sharing,

here is my first attempt at processing your image. I used Pixinsight. First the image was combined in LRGBCombination and put SII in red, Ha in green and OIII in blue. I used deconvolution on the combined SHO image and then I ran ATrousWaveletTransformation for noise reduction and after that I stretched it using HistogramTransformation after that the image became non-linear and I started to reduce the star size using StarMask to mask out the stars and MorphologicalTransformation to make stars look smaller and to bring out the faint dust the next step was to increase the colour of the nebula I increased the colour by first extracting Luminance from the image then I used LRGBCombination and I put the Luminance in the L channel and disabled R,G,B  channels and lovered Saturation to 0.180 in Transfer Function and selected the SHO image applied it. And the final step was doing HDRMultiscaleTransform. I think it's a little bit too processed.

M16.jpg

I like the way the SII appears to be 3D--very nice

Rodd

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be late into this thread, but now when I found it I spent the afternoon on it. I like the data a lot and this was good practice for the return of astrodark in a month. Thanks a lot Rodd!

I started off using Ola Skarpens palette which I find pleasing and then tweaked the colours towards what looks like RGB. All done in PS CS5.

Comments most welcome if anyone is still following the thread (like @Rodd, @wimvb@Petar b, and @Ola Skarpen)

M17 RoddSHOPS15Sign.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Sorry to be late into this thread, but now when I found it I spent the afternoon on it. I like the data a lot and this was good practice for the return of astrodark in a month. Thats a lot Rodd!

I started off using Ola Skarpens palette which I find pleasing and then tweaked the colours towards what looks like RGB. All done in PS CS5.

Comments most welcome if anyone is still following the thread (like @Rodd, @wimvb@Petar b, and @Ola Skarpen)

M17 RoddSHOPS15Sign.jpg

Definitely a different palette.  Processed well with respect to detail.  Nice nd dusty.  Stars look good--as they fade into the distance (or dimness).  Struggling with palette(saturation?)-but only in parts.   It does seem to be growing on me.  Well done as usual Goren1

Rodd

11 minutes ago, gorann said:

By the way I think yout framing is perfect Rodd

Thanks Goren...not much room for fiddling with that at 1,000mm.  I probably should reshoot this with the .7x reducer.

Rodd

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Ps. Did you end up collecting any RGB of M17? Also, have you posted any more data on other objects recently for us data starvimg northerners?

Well, the reducer would increase the FOV--I think the composition would be better.  The resolution would be less--but the Jellyfish I did with the reducer came out very well.  There is a sweet spot with the TOA 130 with the .7x reducer.   The F ratio is 5.38 and without the reducer 7.7.   When I get that data we can compare!

I will post the M8/M20 LRGB data soon.  Maybe later today or tomorrow.  I had a catastrophe with my external hard drive--it failed.  Much of my data  was on there and now its gone (recovery will cost $700-$3,500).  Fortunately most of my keepers are on Astrobin.  But I had allot of stuff--like my first months of imaging--that I wanted to keep.  I like to revisit my data and reprocess as I improve.  Much of it is gone now, including allot of my flats that I will have to reshoot.  Also allot of lunar and planetary stuff.  Bummer

Rodd

That is terrible Rodd. I have been worrying about a HD crasch and since small HDs (in size but not storage capacity) cost just 300 dollars  I have two 4 Tb drives with one that I work on and one as a daily backup that I keep in my backpack when leaving home. I hope you can resque yours.

49 minutes ago, gorann said:

That is terrible Rodd. I have been worrying about a HD crasch and since small HDs (in size but not storage capacity) cost just 300 dollars  I have two 4 Tb drives with one that I work on and one as a daily backup that I keep in my backpack when leaving home. I hope you can resque yours.

Not likely.  The minimum  cost is $700.  The most likely cost is $2,300.  Looks like I just entered the next chapter in my imaging career.    Looking forward, not back.  New projects await!  Thank heavens for Astrobin!

Rodd

If you also saved your raw data on Astrobin you have no problems, but just the jpgs will be good to have. I worked a bit more on the dynamic range and the blue color, so what abot this one?

M17 RoddSHOPS23Sign.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

so what abot this one?

I like #1 better--except for the blue.  The red/orange has gotten even richer, and the dark areas darker.  If you replace the blue area in #1 with the blue area from #2 I think you have it!

Rodd

Yes Rodd, I may have gone a bit over the top on the red saturation, but I am trying to make an RGB like image and both Ha and Sii are in the red channel in my palette, and there is a lot of Ha there. I have now tuned down the red saturation and I think you are right, it probably looks better. Thanks again for the data! I will put it up on my Astrobin with full credits.

M17 RoddSHOPS25sign.jpg

I tried with a different palette as well. But for some reason I just can't get the same amount of detail out of it using a more "naturally" looking palette.

Anyhow, here's a SHOO version of the data (actually S.7H.3OO.9H.1)

M17_SH2OO.thumb.jpg.94e416db84dfcfe54feed5766baf6b34.jpg

Click for a larger version (not that it looks any better)

Archived