Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1 minute ago, AndyH said:

Milk is truly repugnant. I'll only use the see-through stuff that has been irradiated, so that it's not milk anymore. Even then I only use it with Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies and only a precise amount so that it fully soaks into the cardboard breakfast cereal. Usually a good 5 minutes and it's all soaked in. Yes, I'm weird !

Anyone remember primary school and those triangular shaped milk cartons that every classroom got? I can still remember the rank smell as they defrosted and stewed next to the giant cast iron radiators :icon_puke_r:

We had milk in small glass bottles at school in the 70's. Was always warm and had cream on the top. Yes, it was vile.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a "Bintel" brand Quartz 2" diagonal that screws on to the visual back of my SCT and it does the job very well... I don't know how a Quartz diagonal compares to a dielectric one but I'm happy with my one.

Vast subject area (diagonals/prisms, not milk/fridges)

I noticed a difference moving to a Baader Zeiss Prism from diagonal. It just seemed to hold up at high magnification better. I now have a T2 BBHS and have no complaints.

ps We used to have the little quarter pint bottles. Yum :)

OH MY GOD.THE CREAM ON TOP Arrrrrrggghhhhh. Flashback dry boaking as I type.

Glass bottles. How posh ;)

Back to the topic, when did the proliferation of diagonal types beginto take off? 5 years ago, ten? Or were they always about but super rare ?

Just now, AndyH said:

OH MY GOD.THE CREAM ON TOP Arrrrrrggghhhhh. Flashback dry boaking as I type.

Glass bottles. How posh ;)

Back to the topic, when did the proliferation of diagonal types beginto take off? 5 years ago, ten? Or were they always about but super rare ?

Lovely! Careful, we will soon be talking about bluetits pecking through the foil to drink the cream!

Certainly I would say they appear to have become more available and visible in recent years. I suppose in many instances it’s a case of it being an item you just shouldn’t even notice, unless it is a bad one!

There was a thread a few months ago about some refactors being designed for use with prism diagonals, but can't find it now.

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

ps We used to have the little quarter pint bottles. Yum :)

Yes dumpy glass bottles from Unigate. I've got one on my office windowsill (now off to the thread about introverts and not having friends ....... ? )

IMG_9797.JPG

Jeremy from Cheshire (where they still produce a lot of milk ? )

One important thing to note is that prism diagonals don't work very well on fast F/ratios - chromatic issues. Best kept at F/7 or slower.

Love milk and dairy products in all sizes, shapes and forms (except for moldy cheese perhaps).

On the side note, this is probably most distinctly "bitopic" thread that I participated in so far (not to mention fridges).

3 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

There was a thread a few months ago about some refactors being designed for use with prism diagonals, but can't find it now.

Genuine question, is it a case of them being designed for use with prisms or just that the design happens to suit a Prism better? I seem to recall it was something to do with errors cancelling out resulting in better correction but that is a very vague memory!

Were William Optics the first to bring the Dielectric type to the market?

I can remember, the std mirror, then the enhanced reflective type and also a different glass type(Quartz?). Did the dielectric types come to market after them?

Andy

ps: BlueTits pecking through the foil caps(how many colours were there?) on the milk was no laughing matter. Drove my granny mad !

7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Love milk and dairy products in all sizes, shapes and forms (except for moldy cheese perhaps).

I love moldy cheese. I have some of my favourite variety in my refrigerator right now (this is very topical, fridges). It's called Cabrales and it's from Spain. Supposed to be one of the strongest cheeses available.

IMG_9798.JPG

From memory, the Zeiss APQ refractors were designed specifically to be used with a Zeiss made prism. The prism, in effect 'corrected' the view close to perfection. Or so I remember from reading  something ages ago. I presume this is the same or similar zeiss prism that is offered through Baader these days?

6 minutes ago, AndyH said:

ps: BlueTits pecking through the foil caps(how many colours were there?) on the milk was no laughing matter. Drove my granny mad !

We used to have silver. There was good, and red I think? Gold was basically cream!

The posh people used to have little covers for the milkman to put over the top to stop it happening. That’s just mean!

48A3ABD6-BF3A-4340-94D0-299AE0951BC1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I love moldy cheese. I have some of my favourite variety in my refrigerator right now (this is very topical, fridges). It's called Cabrales and it's from Spain. Supposed to be one of the strongest cheeses available.

IMG_9798.JPG

I can smell that through my screen !! ;)

1 minute ago, AndyH said:

From memory, the Zeiss APQ refractors were designed specifically to be used with a Zeiss made prism. The prism, in effect 'corrected' the view close to perfection. Or so I remember from reading  something ages ago. I presume this is the same or similar zeiss prism that is offered through Baader these days?

Thanks Andy, that rings a bell I think.

I certainly rate my Zeiss Herschel wedge. It seems to have the edge at high powers for solar observing. Easy to over look the quality unless you push it quite hard.

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

Genuine question, is it a case of them being designed for use with prisms or just that the design happens to suit a Prism better? I seem to recall it was something to do with errors cancelling out resulting in better correction but that is a very vague memor

I found the thread:

56 minutes ago, RiponJas said:

Was going to say us Brits have far refined taste that some others!!  We are a farming nation with much fresh milk involved. ?

31 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

One important thing to note is that prism diagonals don't work very well on fast F/ratios - chromatic issues. Best kept at F/7 or slower.

On the side note, this is probably most distinctly "bitopic" thread that I participated in so far (not to mention fridges).

Oh, so not good with my shorty fracs then. 

On soya milk mostly due to low lactose tolerance, but for cheese I take the hit. ??

1 hour ago, AndyH said:

Were William Optics the first to bring the Dielectric type to the market?

It was around 1997 when Astro Physics introduced their Maxbright dielectric diagonal while it wasn't until 2001 that Televue introduced their Everbright dielectric diagonal.  I don't know when JOC, Synta or GSO introduced their dielectric diagonals, assuming they're the ones making the majority of the brands on the market.  My guess is that it was later than either of these dates.

Archived