Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GREAT NEWS FOR MARS OBSERVERS !!!

paulastro

Don't get too excited if you think I've some good news about the dust storm coming to an end - I haven't I'm afraid :smile:

However, I looked up the next opposition in 2010 and all is not lost.  It will probably be much better for N hemisphere observers.  This is an extract from an article I found on line:

Closest approach occurs at 1419 UT on October 06, 2020 (291.0° Ls) with an apparent planetary disk diameter of 22.6’’ at a distance of 0.414909454147 astronomical units (AU) or 38,568,243 mi (62,069,571-km).   During closest approach in 2020 the apparent diameter of Mars will be 1.7 arcsec smaller than it was at the same period in 2018; however, it will be 31 degrees higher in the sky...

Thirty one degrees higher and nearly as big, I'll take that any day.  The only slight fly in the ointment is I'm at that sort of age where it's becoming a little more uncertain looking forward to an event which is over two years away!  ?

If you want to read the whole piece, it can be found here:

http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/jbeish/2020_MARS.htm

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I hope you're still around in two years Paul, it looks like its going to be good! ?

I sure will be Mike  (I hope I'm not tempting fate saying this :biggrin:) and I'll look forward to observing with you when the time comes round.  This reminds me, we're overdue for a session together for THIS apparition.  :smile:

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Latest of dust storm on BAA Mars Section website here

Many thanks for this Jeremy.  Last time you attached it I saved it and use it now to check progress - and urge others to do the same.  Very useful updates.

4 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Many thanks for this Jeremy.  Last time you attached it I saved it and use it now to check progress - and urge others to do the same.  Very useful updates.

Glad it's helpful, Paul ?

The reason why I post these updates is that it seems many people think the dust storm has wiped everything out and so it's perhaps not worth bothering to look. As people's observation show, this is not actually the case. And only by observing Mars regularly will we find out what's really happening.

On 02/07/2018 at 11:36, paulastro said:

Don't get too excited if you think I've some good news about the dust storm coming to an end - I haven't I'm afraid :smile:

However, I looked up the next opposition in 2010 and all is not lost.  It will probably be much better for N hemisphere observers.  This is an extract from an article I found on line:

Closest approach occurs at 1419 UT on October 06, 2020 (291.0° Ls) with an apparent planetary disk diameter of 22.6’’ at a distance of 0.414909454147 astronomical units (AU) or 38,568,243 mi (62,069,571-km).   During closest approach in 2020 the apparent diameter of Mars will be 1.7 arcsec smaller than it was at the same period in 2018; however, it will be 31 degrees higher in the sky...

Thirty one degrees higher and nearly as big, I'll take that any day.  The only slight fly in the ointment is I'm at that sort of age where it's becoming a little more uncertain looking forward to an event which is over two years away!  ?

If you want to read the whole piece, it can be found here:

http://www.alpo-astronomy.org/jbeish/2020_MARS.htm

Downside is all the Aussies will be grumbling!

On 04/07/2018 at 16:58, Alan White said:

Nice one to point out Paul, thank you.

As to two years time and being about, I hope you are and I also hope the rest of us are too.

If I leave my Mak out it might have cooled down by then :) :)  :)

Archived