Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to use y ZWO ASI 120mc with sharp cap

I think I must be doing something wrong, trying to drive my ASI 120 colour camera with sharp cap or with PHD. The display sometimes seems to show  no stars at all until I increase the exposure or gain right up and then I just get a lot of noise. I can see Jupiter ok and  the bands but its moons don't show up until the features on Jupiter are burned out.

It seems as if the dynamic range of the sensor is narrow but that's not what people seem to be saying. Could it be something to do with the 5V the USB connection is giving the camera? Or is there a setting that I haven't  yet spotted.

Also, despite having managed to get a recognisable colour picture using  Registax, I now get a monochrome rendition with a grid of dots. I have obvs, tinkered with a control and I can't seem to get back.

Hi Sophie

Images of Jupiter AND the moons are often layered composites - Jupiter with low gain and no moons visible,  moons at high gain with Jupiter over exposed.

A monochrome rendition with a grid of dots sounds like the image has not be de-Bayered, you might not have selected the correct colour recording mode.

Michael

Layered composites - that would explain the moons problem. Too big a contrast range to deal with everything.

I wondered about de-Bayering but I couldn't find the button. Well- I must have found it once 'cos I broke it in the first place!

Thanks guys and I will contact Robin if I get no joy when I am next taking pictures.

1 hour ago, sophiecentaur said:

Layered composites - that would explain the moons problem. Too big a contrast range to deal with everything.

I wondered about de-Bayering but I couldn't find the button. Well- I must have found it once 'cos I broke it in the first place!

Thanks guys and I will contact Robin if I get no joy when I am next taking pictures.

If you run the video file through PIPP prior to stacking the programme will debayer the file for you.

Something isn't quite right. This is an unretouched screenshot from last night. With a long enough focal length you should be able to make out the moons as small discs rather than points, once they are big enough to do this they are almost as bright as Jupiter:

image.thumb.png.ca15b2e4dc601e500ee8eac48771eefd.png

ASI 120MC, 12.5ms exposure, gain 100, turbo USB. What focal length are you using? With the 150PL + x3 barlow I'm effectively at 3.6 metres.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Something isn't quite right. This is an unretouched screenshot from last night. With a long enough focal length you should be able to make out the moons as small discs rather than points, once they are big enough to do this they are almost as bright as Jupiter:

ASI 120MC, 12.5ms exposure, gain 100, turbo USB. What focal length are you using? With the 150PL + x3 barlow I'm effectively at 3.6 metres.

That's interesting. I don't think that theres a cat's chance of setting the exposure / gain to get that sort of range.  I think I need another app for driving the ZWO - just to see if there's any difference. No chance of getting out there for a while, tho'.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I use Sharpcap, and have no trouble getting those settings.

Are you using the ED80 or the newt?

Actually. I am now using an ED120. 

Also I am using the ZWO driver and selected that camera.

The control sliders are very short and the trackpad is pretty rubbishy so it's hard to make fine adjustments. I normally use Apple stuff and the user interface this Dell with W7 running  feels prehistoric.

Archived