Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light optics

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haven't had a phone number for some time - the truth is, if we had one you would struggle to get through as we found it very hard to keep on top of telephone communication and the number of staff we would need to employ would make it impossible.

Instead, we focus on email and are very quick to respond and if you look at our feedback we are rather good at it ;) https://www.firstlightoptics.com/customer_feedback.html

Just drop us an email to questions@firstlightoptics.com and we will do our best to help.

55 minutes ago, FLO said:

We haven't had a phone number for some time - the truth is, if we had one you would struggle to get through as we found it very hard to keep on top of telephone communication and the number of staff we would need to employ would make it impossible.

Back in the 80s before the internet, B&H Photo in NYC had two phone numbers.  The toll free one to order from and the normal one to ask questions on.  If you called the toll free order number and tried to ask any question, even related to ordering, you'd be asked to hang up and call their normal number to get your questions answered.  Going into their store was much the same.  You could ask for any piece of equipment to be brought out, but if you asked any question, you'd be sent to the end of the counter with the equipment to wait for someone to answer your question.  It was all about moving product as quickly as possible at the lowest price possible.

Email is all you need. Ive emailed them a couple of times and got a reply within 20 mins.

Martin@FLO, 

I still have a couple of Celestron microscopes which need to be returned (and 1 refund). Completely my fault for leaving it so long. Can we make it happen. I know we can.

My limited dealings with FLO have been by email and the comms very good (apart from one misunderstanding which was quickly resolved), but I do so wish they had a telephone number. 

I prefer voice contact for questions and conversation.

3 minutes ago, PaulConfused said:

My limited dealings with FLO have been by email and the comms very good (apart from one misunderstanding which was quickly resolved), but I do so wish they had a telephone number. 

I prefer voice contact for questions and conversation.

I prefer email because im in Ireland and phone calls to the UK are expensive.

4 minutes ago, PaulConfused said:

Indeed, it should really be about options.

True, but as FLO explained above.............phone doesnt work for them to be able to give customers the best advise/after sales care. Cant say a bad word about my purchases or after sales queries with FLO.

TOP NOTCH.

2 hours ago, FLO said:

Just drop us an email to questions@firstlightoptics.com and we will do our best to help.

I see from the time of your posting you are working out of hours again.  ?   

When our shop phone rings after closing at 5pm I rarely answer it, why should I, we're shut. But emails that come through I can deal with at any time of night if I wish.

Plus, we get some, erm, what's the word? Nutters? They phone us because they are lonely, need advice on things they bought elsewhere, or want to tap us up for advice so they can buy X product on Amazon. The other day when a younger member of staff was having difficulty ending a conversation with a persistent question asking time waster, I actually pulled the plug out of the wall.

One of my favourite customers, long since dead, used to phone us regularly. Problem was, he was absolutely stone deaf. Not only that, he would come out with the most bizarre statements as a result of him thinking he heard us say something. Here's an example:

Him: (very loud) Hello, it's Mr Lister here, are the raspberries ready yet?

Me: (Shouting) Hello Mr Lister, the raspberries will be in on thursday. THURSDAY

Him: WHAT? YOUR LEGS ARE ON FIRE????????

I just wish we had had email with him, although the classic conversations will stay with me until I die :)

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Speaking of emails  haven’t had an answer to any of my messages sent to FLO over three weeks about replacing a dew shield with the correct one.

Sorry about that John. I can see why. It is entirely our fault. We received both your emails (June 15th & 25th). They were auto assigned to my colleague Martin because they were part of an ongoing conversation but Martin was on holiday (we normally check open conversations when someone is on holiday). I understand you need to change a dewshield. I am responding from home so am unable to check the status of our incoming Astrozap order but I will when we reopen Monday then will update you. Promise. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Thanks Steve

Figured it was holiday time causing the problem. I’ll wait to hear from you.

It was Astrozap’s fault for changing the sizes so the old 7” to 8” Mak one no longer fitted the Skymax 180;and not telling the dealers. Fortunately with this weather not needed a dew shield. ?

John

Just now, johninderby said:

It was Astrozap’s fault for changing the sizes and not telling the dealers. 

That certainly didn't help (though their choosing to make a purpose-made dew shield for the Skymax-180 is a bonus) but we should have checked Martin's open conversations. 

Astrozap are normally pretty fast at dispatching our orders so I don't think you'll be waiting much longer. 

I've emailed FLO maybe 20 times over the years and get a very swift friendly response the vast majority of times.  To be fair the responses are swift enough for it not to be far off real time conversation, plus email is free.

I suspect a lot of questions asked need to be investigated before an answer can be given which also suits email...better than asking a question on the phone and FLO saying erm? I'll call you back when I've found out. 

Martin over at FLO has been my goto guy since I received my telescope at Christmas. I've asked all kinds of questions and been given the best advice for my needs even if that meant I was directed to another supplier from time to time. Not many retailers these days would send you to a competitor because they didn't have an item in stock!

All emails are answered the same day (with the exception of late Friday nights which I've done on a couple of occasions) however there has been a response usually by mid Monday morning.) 

Top class service at FLO!

Archived