SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Top 3 criteria for choosing an eyepiece

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I don't like using this kind of language on a family friendly forum, but as you asked, it was  "Meade" (shudder!!) 4000. 

So Meade 4000's (the Japanese ones ?) bested Tele Vue Panoptics, Naglers, Ethos etc, etc ?

Get onto CN about that Mike - they love that sort of comparison there :icon_biggrin:

To think that Al Naglers work has all been to waste - what a shame !

The Meade 4K's that I've owned and used must have been defective ones, thats all I can think :dontknow:

11 minutes ago, John said:

So Meade 4000's (the Japanese ones ?) bested Tele Vue Panoptics, Naglers, Ethos etc, etc ?

Get onto CN about that Mike - they love that sort of comparison there :icon_biggrin:

The Meade 4K's that I've owned and used must have been defective ones, thats all I can think :dontknow:

I took a couple back to Telescope House for a refund back in the early 1990's, they were so dissapointing and the Meade 4000 SWA's were really not up to much either IMHO - I was fool enought to by the 13.8mm and 18mm new for a lot of dosh back then too. The one good Meade 4000 that I have owned was the 6.7mm UWA which was pretty sharp and contrasty although it's light transmission was lower than a equivalents. After those debacles I went back to Tele Vue and enjoyed the views :icon_biggrin:

The answer is simple really, just buy a Morpheus 17.5mm, especially if you are a member of the club whos members like to see a nice hard field edge to the field of views, edge to edge stars in just about any telescope (not used mine on anything shorter than f4.7) and need to keep their specs on because they suffer from the dreadful astigmatism syndrome ?.

3 hours ago, John said:

May be i was handed a good one, or perhaps it just gelled well with my scope? There have been some threads on CN about these Japanese plossls though I can't remember much about them, other than they were highly regarded by some. From what I think I remember about the reviews, they were not all from the same source and some were more highly regarded than others. I just remember the amazing clarity most of all!  Most of my eyepieces today are of the Masuyama design, so not very wide field, but very nice!

1. Quality of the eyepiece, its design, what glasses it uses, how many glass elements? 

2. Is this design eyepiece optimal with my telescopes, is it rated highly for planetary observation?

3. Peer reviews, what are experienced amateur astronomers with loads of eyepiece experience saying about a particular eyepiece including a particular focal length for a given eyepiece. 

Dave

Archived