Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Hi

I have recently purchased a ZWO ASI120MC-S webcam from FLO. I wanted to try it the other night so I decided to get some test images for the moon. I was using Sharpcap for this. I manged to get the video and was using Autostakkert to stack it. On the final stacked image I can see that there are some strange vertical lines.  I have attached a picture of that. There is also a zoomed in image of a region and I can see some small squares almost resembling the pixels on the sensor. Below are my capture settings as given by SharpCap.

[ZWO ASI120MC-S]
Debayer Preview=On
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Binning=1
Capture Area=1280x960
Colour Space=RAW8
Temperature=19.2
High Speed Mode=Off
Overclock=0
Turbo USB=86(Auto)
Flip=Both
Frame Rate Limit=60 fps
Gain=50(Auto)
Exposure=0.001993
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=95
White Bal (R)=52
Brightness=0
Auto Exp Max Gain=50
Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30000
Auto Exp Target Brightness=100
Mono Bin=Off
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
#Black Point
Display Black Point=0
#MidTone Point
Display MidTone Point=0.5
#White Point
Display White Point=1
TimeStamp=2018-06-25T23:13:22.6772909Z
SharpCapVersion=3.1.5214.0

For Autostakkert (v2.6.8 ) I was not doing anything fancy. Pressed analyze and then used 50% of the frames to stack. Used 200 as the AP size. Also, had the drizzle as 1.5x

My camera was mounted to a skywatcher 200pds  and HEQ5 mount.

I am failing to understand what is going wrong here. Is the camera a problem or stacking is an issue ? Please let me know if there is any more information that you need.

Thanks and Regards,

Yogesh

moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15.tif

moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15_ZOOM.tif

7 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Try running the .avi file through PIPP prior to stacking to debayer the image file. 

Thanks a lot  for your response Peter. I have now uploaded my original video I took using the camera to this link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NhDq3WiuMnKYk-zK7MQdDTfgSDdI5EAZ. It is a 2GB video. There is turbulence in the atmosphere which can be seen in the video and also I can see the same square shaped pixelations in the video. Is this expected? Are my settings to capture the video correct. I mean the exposure, gain, colour space etc. Please do let me know. I will use PIPP and will post some results here soon.

Thanks and Regards,

Yogesh

Avi processed through PIPP to debayer, then stacked in AS and minor wavelets in Registax. The 120mc-s is a colour camera but to improve download speeds the avi is stored as a mono file, retaining the colour info. PIPP restores the colour data to the video for further processing as a colour video. If the video is not de-bayered you get a checker-board effect across the image.

2009039179_wavelets_00_13_20(1)_pipp_g4_ap3039.thumb.jpg.a6ba24d1f25cfc74359948145538df4f.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for your time to go through my video and getting that image. Quite impressive I must say. This was my first time doing this. So can you please let me know what settings did you use on autostakkert and the Registax wavelet filter. I tried but mine is no where near.

Based on my video which you had a chance to look, can I safely assume that there is no problem with my camera. Asking because I was about to return it. 

Please do let me know.

Thanks and Regards, 

Yogesh 

In Autostakkert I just let the programme do its thing and then some slight wavelet adjustments in channel 2 and 3 (about 25 in each) in Registax.

Nothing wrong in your camera, just remember to run the avi through PIPP to debayer it.

• Thanks 1

HI Peter, 

Thank you so much for your response. Can I ask  you some more favours please. Is it possible you could post some screenshot here for my reference for the Registax wavelet stuff. This is just for my reference. If you have any information on Registax tutorial etc I would love that as well. 

Can you please check my sharpcap settings and suggest any improvements. I think in the video there is a bit of highlights which has blown out completely. 

Thanks again. 

Thanks and Regards, 

Yogesh 

registax.thumb.PNG.95d294fe0c43647e4bce6e08ae6975dc.PNG

The image is a little overexposed in the bottom left corner. Adjust the exposure controls so that the brightest areas are just slightly under exposed to retain the detail.