Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi

I have recently purchased a ZWO ASI120MC-S webcam from FLO. I wanted to try it the other night so I decided to get some test images for the moon. I was using Sharpcap for this. I manged to get the video and was using Autostakkert to stack it. On the final stacked image I can see that there are some strange vertical lines.  I have attached a picture of that. There is also a zoomed in image of a region and I can see some small squares almost resembling the pixels on the sensor. Below are my capture settings as given by SharpCap.

[ZWO ASI120MC-S]
Debayer Preview=On
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Binning=1
Capture Area=1280x960
Colour Space=RAW8
Temperature=19.2
High Speed Mode=Off
Overclock=0
Turbo USB=86(Auto)
Flip=Both
Frame Rate Limit=60 fps
Gain=50(Auto)
Exposure=0.001993
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=95
White Bal (R)=52
Brightness=0
Auto Exp Max Gain=50
Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30000
Auto Exp Target Brightness=100
Mono Bin=Off
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
#Black Point
Display Black Point=0
#MidTone Point
Display MidTone Point=0.5
#White Point
Display White Point=1
TimeStamp=2018-06-25T23:13:22.6772909Z
SharpCapVersion=3.1.5214.0

For Autostakkert (v2.6.8 ) I was not doing anything fancy. Pressed analyze and then used 50% of the frames to stack. Used 200 as the AP size. Also, had the drizzle as 1.5x

My camera was mounted to a skywatcher 200pds  and HEQ5 mount.

I am failing to understand what is going wrong here. Is the camera a problem or stacking is an issue ? Please let me know if there is any more information that you need.

Thanks and Regards,

Yogesh

moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15.tif

moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15_ZOOM.tif

7 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Try running the .avi file through PIPP prior to stacking to debayer the image file. 

Thanks a lot  for your response Peter. I have now uploaded my original video I took using the camera to this link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NhDq3WiuMnKYk-zK7MQdDTfgSDdI5EAZ. It is a 2GB video. There is turbulence in the atmosphere which can be seen in the video and also I can see the same square shaped pixelations in the video. Is this expected? Are my settings to capture the video correct. I mean the exposure, gain, colour space etc. Please do let me know. I will use PIPP and will post some results here soon.

Thanks and Regards,

Yogesh

Avi processed through PIPP to debayer, then stacked in AS and minor wavelets in Registax. The 120mc-s is a colour camera but to improve download speeds the avi is stored as a mono file, retaining the colour info. PIPP restores the colour data to the video for further processing as a colour video. If the video is not de-bayered you get a checker-board effect across the image.

2009039179_wavelets_00_13_20(1)_pipp_g4_ap3039.thumb.jpg.a6ba24d1f25cfc74359948145538df4f.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for your time to go through my video and getting that image. Quite impressive I must say. This was my first time doing this. So can you please let me know what settings did you use on autostakkert and the Registax wavelet filter. I tried but mine is no where near.

Based on my video which you had a chance to look, can I safely assume that there is no problem with my camera. Asking because I was about to return it. 

Please do let me know.

Thanks and Regards, 

Yogesh 

In Autostakkert I just let the programme do its thing and then some slight wavelet adjustments in channel 2 and 3 (about 25 in each) in Registax.

Nothing wrong in your camera, just remember to run the avi through PIPP to debayer it.

• Thanks 1

HI Peter, 

Thank you so much for your response. Can I ask  you some more favours please. Is it possible you could post some screenshot here for my reference for the Registax wavelet stuff. This is just for my reference. If you have any information on Registax tutorial etc I would love that as well. 

Can you please check my sharpcap settings and suggest any improvements. I think in the video there is a bit of highlights which has blown out completely. 

Thanks again. 

Thanks and Regards, 

Yogesh 

registax.thumb.PNG.95d294fe0c43647e4bce6e08ae6975dc.PNG

The image is a little overexposed in the bottom left corner. Adjust the exposure controls so that the brightest areas are just slightly under exposed to retain the detail.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MalVeauX
      Hey all,
      I made an acquisition and processing tutorial a while back (3 years ago? Yikes!) and it is fairly dated in terms of what I'm doing these days. I've been asked for a long time to make a new one showing what I'm doing these days. Specifically how I'm processing a single shot image for both the surface and prominences and how to process them together to show prominences and the surface at once. I've abandoned doing split images and composites and strictly work from one image using layers. Acquisition does not use gamma at all anymore. Nothing terribly fancy, but it's not exactly intuitive so hopefully this new video will illustrate most of the fundamentals to get you started. Instead of an hour, this time it's only 18 minutes. It's real time from start to finish. I'm sorry for the long "waiting periods" where I'm just waiting for the software to finish its routine, it lasts 1.5 minutes and 30 seconds tops typically at first. The first 4 minutes is literally just stacking & alignment in AS!3. I typically will go faster than this, but wanted to slow down enough to try to talk through what I'm doing as I do it. Hopefully you can see each action on the screen. I may have made a few mistakes or said a few incorrect things or terms, forgive me for that, this is not my day job. I really hope it helps folk get more into processing as its not difficult or intimidating when you see a simple process with only a few things that are used. The key is good data to begin with and a good exposure value. Today's data came from a 100mm F10 achromatic refractor and an ASI290MM camera with an HA filter. I used FireCapture to acquire the data with a defocused flat frame. No gamma is used. I target anywhere from 65% to 72% histogram fill. That's it! The processing is fast and simple. I have a few presets that I use, but they are all defaults in Photoshop. A lot of the numbers I use for parameters are based on image scale, so keep that in mind, experiment with your own values. The only preset I use that is not a default is my coloring scheme. I color with levels in Photoshop, and my values are Red: 1.6, Green 0.8, Blue 0.2 (these are mid-point values).
      Processing Tutorial Video (18 minutes):
      https://youtu.be/RJvJEoVS0oU
      RAW (.TIF) files available here to practice on (the same images you will see below as RAW TIFs):
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zjeoux7YPZpGjlRGtX6fH7CH2PhB-dzv
      Video for Acquisition, Focus, Flat Calibration and Exposure (20 minutes):
      (Please let me know if any links do not work)
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Results from today using this work flow method.
      Colored:

B&W:

SSM data (sampled during 1.5~2 arc-second seeing conditions):

Equipment for today:
      100mm F10 Frac (Omni XLT 120mm F8.3 masked to 4")
      Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (ERF)
      PST etalon + BF10mm
      ASI290MM
      SSM (for fun, no automation)

Very best,

• By Adam1234
      I took some photos of the moon the other night when we actually had a clear sky. Some of the pictures I stacked 10 - 20 with Autostakkert (first time using it) and some levels adjustment on photoshop. 

• By jadcx
      Skywatcher 80 ED DS-Pro outfit including matched flattener and motor focus. Now only £350
      This kit gives you a great introduction to astronomy and imaging, which is why it's so popular.  You can see details over at FLO but there is:
      80 ED Ds-Pro OTA (Objective Lens Diameter: 80mm, Telescope Focal Length: 600mm,  f/7.5)
      SW Eyepiece (2"): 28mm
      2”/50.8mm Di-Electric Star Diagonal
      9x50 Finderscope
      Dual-Speed 11:1 2” Crayford Focuser (Backlash-Free)
      Supplied with Tube Rings & Mounting Plate - please note there is a longer black vixen type dovetail fitted, not the fancy new green short one you will see on the FLO site
      SW motor focus and fitting kit - I've never used this, hence it's not fitted (more details over on FLO)
      Dedicated SW 0.85x reducer/flattener (see FLO for more details)
      Aluminium Carrying / Shipping Case

The RRP is over £720, so grab a bargain while you can.
      Collection from Nottingham, or DHL for £20 (within UK)

• By masjstovel
      Hi,
      I bought my first telescope, SW 150pds about 6 months ago with the purpose of astroimaging "when i feel ready".  So far ive used my Nikon D810 for that, and I'm now  planning on taking the step buying my first AP camera.
      My targets would be DSO's, and not planetary. I want a mono-camera, not color. 

I want to get away with a very good camera to a reasonable price (wouldn't we all...) and in this regard I've been drooling on the ZWO ASI 1600MM Mono for some time. The price for it is in the upper part of my budget, but I'm willing to if its worth it.  I've seen from other treads that sensor-size isn't everything, and dynamic range and gain and all is just as important, but i have trouble understanding it all 100% when it's all new to me, but in my experience i am a practical person who learns things much better and faster with the gear in my hand. So without getting to technical, and staying as objective as possible - please help me with; 

1. Is this a good camera to go for?
      2. It's sold with options of filters 1.25", 31mm or 36mm - Why these options, and what determines what i would choose?

3. Would you go for another camera in this price range, and why? - Or to rephrase it a bit; If you were in my shoes, which camera would you og for?

I'd appreciate any help:)

I might add, that i understand that with my lack of experience, buying a mono-camera with filters and all might seem premature, but for some strange reason. I enjoy these "way over my head"-projects and figuring  out things as time goes - I just need some guiding in the right direction. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.