Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

X-Cel LX EPs with f4.6 xx14G ??

Ledge1962

Hi all. Has anyone tried using the X-Cel LX eps with the XX14g? I am thinking of getting the 14g, but with it being f4.6, I am concerned the LX's are not up to speed? I have 6 X-Cel  LX eps  for my 10-in SCT so dont really want to buy more if I can help it. They are the 1 1/4s not 2-in.

Regards

G

Hi there. I don't have anything faster than f5 (where they work fine) but the following thread suggests they are good performers in fast scopes.

If I were you I'd be reasonably confident and would definitely hold off on buying EPs until I'd tried them. In the end different people have different expectations but if say the omens are good!

Billy.

Based on my experience with the Meade HD-60 series, if you stick with 9mm and below, they'll be fine in whatever scope you choose.  The 4.5mm, 6.5mm, and 9mm are almost indistinguishable from premium eyepieces.  The 12mm is starting to lose edge sharpness at f/6 while the 18mm and 25mm are abysmal at the edge at f/6.  All are fine in the center 20 degrees, but so are Plossls.

34 minutes ago, Ledge1962 said:

Thank you both for responding. I am a bit nervous as the shop recommended Sky Wather ultra wide 80Degree eyepiece as $750 for a set of 3. 

I'd be a bit surprised if those outperformed what you already have, at least in terms of edge sharpness (though with that field I'm sure they would give good views). I'd stick with what you have and  only look to trade up if they're not up to the job.

On 28/06/2018 at 15:56, Louis D said:

The 12mm is starting to lose edge sharpness at f/6 while the 18mm and 25mm are abysmal at the edge at f/6.  All are fine in the center 20 degrees, but so are Plossls.

This is interesting. For me at f5 and f6 the 18mm is the pick of the bunch, with the 12 and 25 pushing it close. I'm not that impressed with them below 9mm (though it's not edge sharpness that bothers me; I just find the image a bit dim and mushy). I wonder if that's a difference in taste or if the quality is a bit variable.

Billy.

1 hour ago, Ledge1962 said:

Thank you both for responding. I am a bit nervous as the shop recommended Sky Wather ultra wide 80Degree eyepiece as $750 for a set of 3. 

Were these the Nirvana eyepieces from Skywatcher ?

If so they are very good. Same as the William Optics UWAN eyepieces. $750 for 3 is expensive if they were the Nirvana's though :icon_scratch:

Better corrected than the Celestron X-Cel LX's even in fast scopes I felt.

I guess the best option would be to buy the scope and use the X-Cels, but be prepared to spend more if need be. Not sure how I will hide that from the wife :)

It does seem that different people have different experiences with similar eye pieces, and I guess to a degree, I like to get the best out of everything I buy.  If I buy a program for my PC and it runs a bit slow, instead of throwing the program out, i upgrade the computer.

Thanks for the advise, I have taken it onboard and either way, I will put up a review of the results once I get the telescope.

Archived